2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I clicked on the link and got a message about ”This site steals your personal information.”

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I had my Cobra on these all winter and I was under it plenty of times, and my set is affected. Pretty scary. I've never liked Harbor Freight, only reason I had these was because I needed a new low profile jack and these came with it. Cheap tools means cheaply built.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Figured it was a matter of time but I'll admit I have been using the same 3 ton low profile harbor freight floor jack since 2011 and its just now starting to make me nervous (it bled down a bit and made some noises last time I raised the subaru lol). I only use it for tire rotations, brakes, minor things but 9 yrs is pretty good for like $87. I do need to call my dad though I got him a pair of the 6 ton jack stands sometime last yr if not late the year before. I have had excellent luck with their jacks, jack stands, and impact guns. about 80% of everything else I tried was a bust so I just avoided it.

Also to be fair, I have broken Snapon, Mac and craftemen tools and some of our A&P Aircraft techs calibrated some torq wrenches for fun and compared to the little $15 one from H.F. It was more accurate at all 4 intervals in every test. Still not allowed in most shops but it was funny to see. I also have like 4 large roller boxes at the shop with H.F. impact sockets and impact guns working on Caterpillar/ dump trucks, excavators and they have all been in circulation for 4+ yrs. Granted cheap is cheap but sometimes you can get some properly priced made in china stuff vs the price gouge for the same product with a different sticker/coler.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I got my Jackstands from AutoZone, I'll be fine.

All joking aside, what would someone recommend for Jackstands? I've never liked the idea of the quick release as a safety. My first set of JackStands has a Safety pin, like a Cotter pin that you'd slide through the stand to keep it locked. I have not seen those for sale again, and to me that looked safer, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I have never seen a set of jack stands fail that were not abused / overloaded
I have seen a few destroyed, but there was always a reason, and it was not the stand
Most likely someone wanting to get the lawyers involved, follow the money
What we need is more warning stickers on the tools we use, ...that no one reads anyways

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I believe I have a pair of these in the toy hauler. Only use them for hub maintenance or at a site where I need extra leveler height. But wow. Wow.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
If you read the article it mentions the jacks failing when the load being held is moved... Personally im not super worried as Husky, Craftsmen, Kobalt, Autozone, Oriley, ARE ALL MADE IN CHINA. Plus think about how many people are actually putting 12,000lbs on a single 6 ton jack stand. I use a pair of 3 tons most of the time but I got the 6 ton to do some work on a project truck that had taller tires and even that the entire truck weighs less than 3 ton

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,531 Posts
Jack stands are rated by pairs. If you pick up two 6 ton jack stands, each stand is only rated at 3 tons.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Keep in mind the jack stand rating is for the pair, not individual stands
@bismic beat me to it

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Ah shoot fair enough. I guess my real point is 90% are made in china, and I wouldn't use harbor freight stands for a piece of equipment where i was 80% or above max rating but my 7.3l weighs right over 8k with tools/full tank, and two passengers so a paid of 6 ton stands on the front/rear is nowhere near the max rating but I don't shake the truck while on stands either. I guess I just feel Harbor freight is cheap but recalls are usually from the .000001% who do something stupid so the company wants to reduce litigation opportunities etc. I just looked online at Home Depot, Lowes, Napa, North40/Tractor supply and 99% of the jack stands were made in china etc.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Most likely someone used too light a jack stand, or too short, or damaged the latch
The reaction is to keep litigation attempts down -- you know everyone is sue happy -- just look at TV with all the layers advertising

·
Registered
790 Posts
Jacks were mentioned, it's not about the jacks.

The article mentions the movement of the held vehicle, so it may be that the teeth of the post or the engagement tang were not wide enough. Or the post has too much clearance in the tube allowing excessive side movement.

I really prefer pin retention.

·
Registered
242 Posts
All joking aside, what would someone recommend for Jackstands? I've never liked the idea of the quick release as a safety. My first set of JackStands has a Safety pin, like a Cotter pin that you'd slide through the stand to keep it locked. I have not seen those for sale again, and to me that looked safer, but I could be wrong.
I have jack stands from Northern Tool and they have a pin to keep the saddle bar locked when extended.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts