Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got OBDLINK LX, and its the first tool to even attempt to read but i ended up with a laundry list of codes and was wondering what this could mean. Crank no start condition, harness was fried in a handful of spots, 2 GP wires were fried, GP and Starter solenoid dead, icp presumably dead(oil in plug), valley filled with oil, IDM replaced, it was full of water, the list goes on. Sounds like a massive electrical shortage and mostly full engine system damage to me. Potentially a Computer. Idk. Been working on it for 2 months (slowly), got codes to read today and this is them, if i Font Multimedia Darkness Screenshot Number
Font Number Slope Darkness Screenshot
Font Screenshot Darkness Terrestrial plant Number
Font Screenshot Multimedia Terrestrial plant Software

t worked. Idk what im doing wrong, but i cant get fuel pressure or anything in any apps i have tried. Im stuck and my neighbor is 70 something years old and i just really want to get his truck moving. He isnt mad, but i am dissappointed in myself, even though i took on the 7.3 to help, and to learn it. Someone help pleaee!

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
What app did you use? 99% of those are not OBS codes.

There's no fuel pressure sensor so you won't see that.

You need to attempt a buzz test and read ICP pressure and IPR % while cranking.

Any white smoke while cranking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What app did you use? 99% of those are not OBS codes.

There's no fuel pressure sensor so you won't see that.

You need to attempt a buzz test and read ICP pressure and IPR % while cranking.

Any white smoke while cranking?
I used the OBDlink app. I tried torque pro and got 0 results except a negative 40 temp reading. I was told i should be able to get FP from the ICP. The app said the Injection control Pressure regualtor is reading low percentage (14.44). Dont know how to buzz test, and i get no smoke and havent since i started working on it. Thank you btw. I am at the point where its either the ECU, the HPOP, or something i put on, that is still no good. I think lol

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Use Forscan or Forscan Lite. Clear all the codes and then see what pops back up. Should end up with a "cleaner" list. Cheers!

Reactions: White95f250

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Since you have a fault at almost every injector I would try a different idm. Doesn't matter what year 94.5 through 03. The 00-03 is better anyways since it is higher voltage. When you did the test could you hear each of the injectors when they buzzed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you have a fault at almost every injector I would try a different idm. Doesn't matter what year 94.5 through 03. The 00-03 is better anyways since it is higher voltage. When you did the test could you hear each of the injectors when they buzzed?
First thank you for your help on this again, and to answer your question,
I heard 7 of them waaaay loud, and one was pretty normal sounding. Presumably the one his only good injector was on. The others were 2.4-2.5. Liquid Fluid Material property Cylinder Gas
this is the back of the IDM.... Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
this isthe plug. If i may reiterate the service bulletin. The grounds on these are trash. REPLACE IMMEDIATELY!! PROTECT YOUR IDM and your PCM!!!

My theory..... through visual diagnostics mostly,multimeter, and the codes confirmed it, the PCM gave me the last piece of evidence to the puzzle i needed. The IDM overloaded due to water in it.... like a cup... voltage reg failed, fried the wiring harness, valve cover plugs, glowplugs overloaded, fused to all but one injector wire, overloaded all but one solenoid,((all but one due to the smallest ground being by the left front)) the GP solenoid fried, the harness shorted back to the block, went through all the sensors (seent it and tested most of it),, ran all the way through the computer and to the flappy steel braided grounds, which obviously didnt handle 120v dc from multiple points potentially in series, depending on how the metal connects. Sound right? All the things i have replaced were cooked or decayed, i cant tell in some cases but i can in most.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
If the harness grounded out it's possible that every sensor and ipr has been damaged. I missed that you already have a different idm, question is are you positive it is good. Usually but not always when the pcm is bad you would get no communication. Are you positive that there are no more bad spots in the harness, especially the shield wire and ground running through the injector harness is not still touching a bare injector power wire. I wonder why none of the relays or fuses blew. Something I have seen is the pcm relay make good enough contact to run a test but not good enough to make a engine rum. I've also seen that same relay be able to start an engine but not provide enough to raise the engine above idle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not positive, never really can be without the testjng equipment i guess, but the pcm i think is not necessarily all bad, i think potentially it shorted back to there, but didnt blow it up because it had some grounds at least. All the wires have been replaced and are good. The only one i havent replaced is the PCM harness i think. i will check the PCM relay as well and just try a new one because it would be a lot cheaper than the PCM. I appreciate that info, i didnt even think to look there. The voltage control in this is on the alternator, so i can assume it doesnt control anythjng after IDM. The relay and the computer harness and the computer are like the end of the line though i think. He has had it forever and wants to keep it so its worth it for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts