Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:

I purchased a 2008 F250 with the 6.4L with 123,000 miles at an auction in excellent condition. The truck, unknown to me, had a DPF delete and was tuned. In the meantime I'd purchased a H&S Mini Maxx tuner from DPF Delete Shop to tune the truck after I deleted the EGR. When I plugged the Mini Maxx up to the truck, it shows my ECM labeled as SPARTANENGINE1 and TCM labeled as SPARTANTRANS02. I proceeded to flash the Mini Maxx Mild tune with DPF/EGR delete instead of running the unknown to me tune and everything seemed to go fine. I started the truck after the flash was complete and everything idled and revved great.

The next morning I go out, start the truck, all good. Go to put the truck in drive and nothing, just revs, but not moving at all. I immediately suspect the TCM tune as the culprit, so I attempt to go back to stock to see if it would load the old tune back on the trans and engine, but no luck.

The engine tune seems to flash back to stock fine (or whatever was last loaded) but when it tries to go back to stock transmission tune, I get the error " File Corrupt 918B FFFF" and the Mini Maxx freezes. Now the truck won't start at all.

What are my options here besides getting the truck towed to Ford and having them try to put a stock flash on a fully deleted truck?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the mini maxx. I would have left it as is when I saw Spartan software was on there. Only thing is if Ford flashes it back to stock, who says the mini maxx won't do it all over again on you.

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like an issue with the mini maxx. I would have left it as is when I saw Spartan software was on there. Only thing is if Ford flashes it back to stock, who says the mini maxx won't do it all over again on you.
I certainly wish I had left the Spartan software on there and not tinkered with it, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm thinking it's more of an issue with the fact the truck was already tuned with Spartan and it didn't have the truck's original files to build onto.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
It wouldn't matter either way, the mini maxx would just think the spartan software was the stock file, it doesn't know the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wouldn't matter either way, the mini maxx would just think the spartan software was the stock file, it doesn't know the difference.
That's what I thought too, but doesn't make sense as to why it loaded up the transmission tune incorrectly unless it was trying to modify the non-stock Spartan file and build on that instead of introducing a brand new H&S file, right?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Not sure how the mini maxx works, I'd think that wouldn't be the case. End of the day you should probably buy a device that's still being produced and supported. H&S has been out of business since 2014.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure how the mini maxx works, I'd think that wouldn't be the case. End of the day you should probably buy a device that's still being produced and supported. H&S has been out of business since 2014.
Unfortunately been dealing with that since getting into this mess -- neither Spartan or H&S are available for any help. Thank you for your input though.

·
Administrator
22,841 Posts
I wish more people would find these threads before bricking their trucks.

Please keep us updated so others can learn.

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
152 Posts
I’ve had hell trying to get rid of Spartan tunes before even with the original unit. When you “set back to stock” the file is still locked and can’t even be flashed with the IDS. They were horrible to deal with on the phone when they were still around as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish more people would find these threads before bricking their trucks.

Please keep us updated so others can learn.
Will definitely keep everyone posted. Not sure of how to proceed at the moment. Trying to avoid going to Ford at all costs.

I’ve had hell trying to get rid of Spartan tunes before even with the original unit. When you “set back to stock” the file is still locked and can’t even be flashed with the IDS. They were horrible to deal with on the phone when they were still around as well
That sounds terrible. So how did you get around that in the end? A new ECM And TCM?

Still exploring my options at the moment. I was really hoping there would be some type of remote IDS service or perhaps I could get someone to come to me to flash the truck back to stock, but it seems not many people seem to have IDS, which seems to be my only way out of this.

Anyone know of there is any possibility of having someone remotely tune the car using an entirely different tuner all together to address this? I've already come to terms with the fact that the truck is going to be down for weeks probably, just have to get a plan in place.

·
Registered
152 Posts
In short yes two “new” used ones at a shop I do programming for. Guy at Spartan hung up on me after we started getting into it. I’ve been doing module programming on all makes since the early 00’s. He tried to tell me the tuner was improperly loaded if it wouldn’t put the stock file back 100%. There’s no options on that procedure. I understand locking your info as much as I disagree with it, but they basically rendered your pcm and tcm unusable for anything other than their tuner once installed. I have to reflash a lot of trucks back to stock for shops around here regardless of make due to some shops “custom tunes” being bad on head gaskets or cylinders etc. on gm we can do a replace and reprogram and get over even locked tunes to go back to stock. Usually get the fords back stock with my ids easy enough Cummins are hit and miss. The Spartan stuff has always been a pita to deal with

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In short yes two “new” used ones at a shop I do programming for. Guy at Spartan hung up on me after we started getting into it. I’ve been doing module programming on all makes since the early 00’s. He tried to tell me the tuner was improperly loaded if it wouldn’t put the stock file back 100%. There’s no options on that procedure. I understand locking your info as much as I disagree with it, but they basically rendered your pcm and tcm unusable for anything other than their tuner once installed. I have to reflash a lot of trucks back to stock for shops around here regardless of make due to some shops “custom tunes” being bad on head gaskets or cylinders etc. on gm we can do a replace and reprogram and get over even locked tunes to go back to stock. Usually get the fords back stock with my ids easy enough Cummins are hit and miss. The Spartan stuff has always been a pita to deal with
Sounds like my options are very limited. I'd hate to invest money into a new ECM and TCM just to be right back at square one where I'd need to find some type of tuning solution for the fully deleted truck in my driveway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To add some context, here are some pictures along the original install process where I uploaded the MILD tune -- had planned on using the 160HP option as a daily driver:

This is what the settings said after the flash of the engine and transmission was complete. Note the names of the ECM and TCM. At this point the truck would start and run.

Even though I selected no transmission adjustments, H&S still loads a tune I guess. It seemed to upload correctly, but I never thought to try to move the truck forward in drive as it was late at night and exhaust is loud.

After I realized the car wasn't going to move in drive and thought the TCU to be the culprit, I had hoped the Mini Maxx had copied the Spartan tune and would return it to what it believed to be stock, but was actually the tune the car had been running great on. That was not the case, this was the last screen I saw before getting errors.

Once I hit this screen, it's game over. I can't start the truck, and if I turn everything off and disconnect the Mini Maxx, and then reconnect, it let's me get to the default screen, but as soon as you go to install Download, it only gives you the option of proceeding to recovering the disrupted install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if it's possible that the TCM was replaced with one of the Spartan specific TCM modules and that's my issue. Do the Spartan TCMs look any different than the OEM Ford ones?

In that case it might be worth trying to track down a VIN matched TCM And ECM to install and then try to use the Mini Maxx again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you can find someone with a pass thru or ids nearby that could try flashing truck back to stock but I bet it won’t write over the Spartan. It’s worth a shot though. If you find a used or new replacement I would have them flashed to your vin with the newest ford calibration prior to tuning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts