Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a mini maxx for my 2012, thought they came with standard tunes but i cant figure out how to install on my truck apparently, where do i get tunes for it so i can actually take it off of stock? or instructions to why I cant figure this POS out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There should be canned performance tunes on there. Once it's all hooked up scroll through the options and look for "install tune" or "download tune" something like that.

Did you buy it new or used?

Did it come with an unlock code?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be canned performance tunes on there. Once it's all hooked up scroll through the options and look for "install tune" or "download tune" something like that.

Did you buy it new or used?

Did it come with an unlock code?

I bought it new from Rudys Diesel something or other, best deal I could find for the DEF/EGR delete and crap, haven't had enough to do the delete so was just going to tune it till I find time. I haven't found a code anywhere for it, where would I find that? I went to download tune, it downloaded my truck to it, but I can't figure out how to switch it from stock. I tried changing it from the display screen where it says what mode I'm in and guages and what not, but it just beeps at me, I go back to download vehicle and it just tries to redownload the vehicle again, so now I think I have my vehicle on there twice?? no idea, out of all the tuners I've ever had this is the only one I've ever had problems figuring out for some reason.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I bought it new from Rudys Diesel something or other, best deal I could find for the DEF/EGR delete and crap, haven't had enough to do the delete so was just going to tune it till I find time. I haven't found a code anywhere for it, where would I find that? I went to download tune, it downloaded my truck to it, but I can't figure out how to switch it from stock. I tried changing it from the display screen where it says what mode I'm in and guages and what not, but it just beeps at me, I go back to download vehicle and it just tries to redownload the vehicle again, so now I think I have my vehicle on there twice?? no idea, out of all the tuners I've ever had this is the only one I've ever had problems figuring out for some reason.
There's two buttons on the righ side of the screen. When you're in monitoring mode, tap the upper button to change to tow, then again for hot. The lower button will take you back down the tune list.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's two buttons on the left side of the screen. When you're in monitoring mode, tap the upper button to change to tow, then again for hot. The lower button will take you back down the tune list.

Good job, make me look like an idiot, haha, simpilest thing, book said you had to go into the options to change, never said anything about that. Is the pryo 1 guage your egts? I also never let the truck warm up like the manual says and my check coolant additive light came on, think it just came on or if that's why?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good job, make me look like an idiot, haha, simpilest thing, book said you had to go into the options to change, never said anything about that. Is the pryo 1 guage your egts? I also never let the truck warm up like the manual says and my check coolant additive light came on, think it just came on or if that's why?
Haha no worries! Glad it was as simple as that and not a bigger issue.

Yeah, all the Pyro (1-3) are your egt sensors in the order they are on your exhaust, 1 being closest to the engine. Unless you're deleted, then #1 is the only one getting a reading and it'll be in your EGR block off plate.

I can't say for sure if the coolant light would be related to not warming up before flashing. Has it gone away after drive cycle?

...also might just be time for you to check it. The truck will remind you at pre-set mileage intervals so it might have just been coincidental timing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you should watch a good youtube video. there are plenty about the minimaxx. I did that before I bought my minimaxx. very helpful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys, about ready to install the delete, I can't figure out how to disable the egr on it now though, any help on that?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, about ready to install the delete, I can't figure out how to disable the egr on it now though, any help on that?
When you install the delete tune, it automatically disables the EGR. Just make sure you disconnect the 3 wire harnesses after you tune, and block it off sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I couldn't find any that answered my questions, when you do def/egr delete do you just turn off emissions? Only thing I see that would turn them off, and can I just leave the egr on just unplugged? I don't have time to do it all at once. And lastly all I have to do is take off exhaust and put on new correct? Not sure where the pump is located or the cooler I've heard about, not used to this new stuff on vehicles lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
Swap exhausts and unplug egr. It's in the manual which orange plugs need taken off. Then you reload tune, when it asks if dpf is present, you say no and it loads appropriate tune.
The exhaust is a bit of a pain on older trucks. There are videos that help. Lots of plugs that are a pain to get to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I found all the plugs, watched a couple videos, but isn't there something else you need to take off besides the exhaust and egr? Doesn't seem like its going to be as difficult as I'm making it seem, just time consuming, and where do I drain the pump, that I take is attached to the exhaust? I don't see a pump anywhere else. Tuner doesn't seem to ask about dpf or egr, just emissions unless Im missing something somewhere

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah I found all the plugs, watched a couple videos, but isn't there something else you need to take off besides the exhaust and egr? Doesn't seem like its going to be as difficult as I'm making it seem, just time consuming, and where do I drain the pump, that I take is attached to the exhaust? I don't see a pump anywhere else. Tuner doesn't seem to ask about dpf or egr, just emissions unless Im missing something somewhere
The only advice I'd offer that opposes the guy a couple posts previous is; unhook all the sensors, load the delete tune, start the truck to make sure the tune took properly, THEN unbolt the exhaust. Sucks to do all the hard labor to find out your tune is effed up and have to reinstall all the stock stuff.

Nope, it's that "simple". Unhook all the sensor harnesses and DEF injector thingy from the exhaust, unbolt, bolt in straight pipe.

Unhook the EGR harnesses.

Done.

I assume by "pump" you mean the DEF sending unit? It's in the DEF tank and does not need to be removed. You don't HAVE to drain the DEF fluid after a delete, but it's not the greatest thing for the tank/assembly for it to sit in there for 100k+ miles. Still, not something that needs to be done urgently. An EGR solution would be more pressing.

Make sure you do an EGR delete (full removal) or block off plates very soon after you run a delete tune. A full EGR delete is where the hard work is. Tedious process.

This is where I'm gonna flame you a bit. All this is covered in the **read first tuners, exhaust....** sticky.

And, if you don't know where your EGR cooler is or what it looks like, should probably do some more research before tackling this job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I install a mini max without pyro, delete egr and dpf. I have bung on delete plate that gets installed on header. I will install the factory EGT sensor that was on egr pipe. When I go to install the mini max and set it up I still say the egr and dpf are deleted. Will the mini max read that temp or do I need to change some setting ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If dpf is deleted, egr is deleted and the block off plate on exhaust header has EGT sensor reading on pyro 1. What is pyro 2 reading ? Reading constant 122-130 ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I install a mini max without pyro, delete egr and dpf. I have bung on delete plate that gets installed on header. I will install the factory EGT sensor that was on egr pipe. When I go to install the mini max and set it up I still say the egr and dpf are deleted. Will the mini max read that temp or do I need to change some setting ?
Remove the temp probe that you installed from the EGR pipe. That thing won't work for anything but to plug the hole in the block off plate. .

You need to install an EGT sensor from your DPF. Take your pick, it doesn't matter which one.

Install it in the block off plate on your exhaust manifold, and plug it into the same recepticle that the EGR temp probe was plugged into.

This will give you EGT readings on PYRO 1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I removed EGT sensor on exhaust and installed it on block plate on header. I am currently reading temp on pyro 1. If I turn on pyro 2 it reads a constant 122-140 do you know what this is reading ? Or do I not need to care about that ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes I removed EGT sensor on exhaust and installed it on block plate on header. I am currently reading temp on pyro 1. If I turn on pyro 2 it reads a constant 122-140 do you know what this is reading ? Or do I not need to care about that ?
If you've unplugged the other two sensors, I assume you did when you removed the DPF, then don't worry about those numbers. It's just a generic number the harness is sending from not receiving any data.

Today I'll check my Pyro 2 and 3 and see if they read the same thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just did the egr deff delete, now my h&s keeps switching through tunes while driving, any ideas?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts