Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a welder and fabricator, have acess to a lift, I want to gut the factory muffler.:dunno: Want to keep a stock appearing exhaust till I order a 4" or 5". Just looking to free it up some and make it louder.:thumb: Especially louder, will it help?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Why not just weld a piece of pipe in place of the muffler? It will most likely cause more restriction, and sound a little funny if you gut it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.K., I can do that too, will it make it louder?

·
Registered
929 Posts
u will get some more sound and whistle. but u need to get that cat out of there. then it will scream

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yeah, that too. The cat quiets it down more than the muffler.

·
Registered
929 Posts
:ORG welcome: bud, your not to far away from me. im in chatham county

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I delete the cat and the muffler will it throw a code or anything?

I got a buddy that lives in Chatam, Tony (can't remeber his last name) He and his dad run a forklift rental place or something.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't see any sensors at all going into the cat, and none before it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
deleting the cat and muffler is basically the same thing as putting on a full exhaust system (as far as taking the cat and stock muffler out of the equation), there are no sensors running into the cat / muffler, you should be fine to delete them.... and the whistle is mint :D

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
You can remove both and it will sound awesome and have a little more power to. No codes will be thrown.

WELCOME TO ORG! ! !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, if muff and cat delete are the same as a full exhaust, why spend so much money? Maybe I shouldn't order an aftermarket exhaust. I had planned to get an exhaust and programmer. I'm looking about 350/375hp, and I want it sit me back in the seat when I punch it!

Thanks guys! I hate asking a bunch of questions you have probably answered a 1000 times, just want to be on the safe side!

BTW: The site is awesome!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, no cat, no muff, sounds 10 times better. Maybe a little more power, but nothing major. Now I'm trying to decided which programmer, Bullydog or SCT. I really want some high mpg since it's my daily driver. But I also want to be able to give my buddys a fit in their imports from time to time.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have a F450 work truck. I was thinking of deleting the muffler too. I haven't yet because I didn't want it to be tooooo loud. Is it real noticeable?
what motor do u have. the 6.0 will not be to much louder at all. the 7.3 will be alittle louder but not as loud as a gas v8

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm straight piped now(no cat or muff) and it's not much louder unless you are really getting on it. You don't even really notice idling or at 55mph, but when you whip out to pass someone it gets a little loud. Sounds real good though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts