Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day! First I'm commuting home on my motorcycle and get tagged by lady in a stopped car who suddenly cranks her wheels over and accelerates into me as I'm going by. She tagged my left saddlebag. I kept the bike on two wheels so I'm fine. As if that didn't suck enough, her insurance policy expired last month.

So I arrive home hoping to decompress before bed... instead I find the tailgate of my truck smashed. I had just finished waxing it yesterday afternoon and then the wife took it to visit her folks. Seems when she got back home and was turning around on our driveway she backed into a tree limb. @##$!!!!

So I guess now I have to figure out if its cheaper to fix the existing tailgate or find a replacement and have it painted. I thought I read somewhere that the 2008 tailgate needs brackets to fit the older trucks. What brackets? The ones at the bottom that it hinges on, or the upper ones that it latches into?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
bottom ones need to be changed out for the new style

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
the brackets just make lifting the gate easier. if you take the torsion bar out like i did then you dont need to buy the brackets. imo i dont notice it being any heavier or harder to lift up

·
Premium Member
10,011 Posts
The drivers side lower hinge will need to be swapped out. I love my '08 gate!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I've got my choice of ...

$125 new condition 'take off' from a 2001 F350 white
or
$550 new condition 'take off' from a 2008 F250 white
then
$350 to have a local shop paint to match
plus another (guessing) $100 for LineX.

So... is the 2008 tailgate worth the additional $425? I guess I'll decide Friday when I find out how much StateFarm is going to pay.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info. I'll do some more calling tomorrow and maybe I'll find a 2008 for cheaper.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I dont know if he still has any or not, but Choctaw had white 08 tailgates for sale. May wanna send a PM to him

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch! Went to the dealer and priced the parts... didn't get passed the price for the tailgate shell... $700 and its only primered! Their super duper discount price brought it down to $440... but still!! That was before adding in all the other pieces... hinge, top edge, handle assembly, etc.

I'm back in the market for used. I can get the old style for $125 and have found a 2008 for $350. I'll hold off on my decision until I see what the insurance is going to pay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts