·
Registered
370 Posts
I dont understand how that truck can get going without spinning the tires

Reactions: Dales Super Store

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I wonder what the actual pull weight was? That of course was not a 1.25 million pound rated tow strap...
BTL

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
I may or may not be part of the reason those car carrying rail cars now have steel sides. No confession but it's "possible" there may have been a tragic hunting accident or two somewhere back in my younger days :wall:

·
Registered
93 Posts
From what i read, basically any truck could of done it. Its more of a math/friction/mass thing that i don't bother to do on my own. Somewhat explains the tow strap rating BTL states... low enough friction and the weight is not as much of an issue. Below is the link to the article that explains it the best, or at least i nod my head in agreement the most at... But i would guess 25 years, as people like me that ignore electric cars basically because i'm set in my ways thin out...

https://www.wired.com/story/electric-ford-f150-pulls-a-train-friction-physics/

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I know it is super easy to move a small 100 ton Cost Guard Cutter tied to the dock. Step on a mooring line and the cutter moves right up tight to the dock. Floating on the water has a lot less friction than steel wheels on rails but you get the idea. I bet you old Jack Lalane could pull those rail cars with one foot in a cast....
BTL

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
The DC motors used in these electric vehicles have torque for days. When the battery technology gets to where it won’t take a truck bed full of them to go 500 miles & only a few hours to recharge......watch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm going to disagree for a couple of reasons:

1. The distance isn't there with an electric charge.
2. Electricity still has to be produced which typically means burning a fossil fuel such as coal, Natural Gas or via Nuclear Reaction. Very little electricity is produced from renewable resources.

Now if they make a pick up truck version using the same idea Nikola Motors is working on then I would be looking myself to get away from a diesel truck.

I don't have enough post to add the link but google them and take a look.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1) Well....we addressed the size of the battery already. Once that technology has been improved it's not hard to make the distances traveled much longer.
2) Yea....that's the only real argument most people already have about full electrical vehicles.

Now if they make a pick up truck version using the same idea Nikola Motors is working on then I would be looking myself to get away from a diesel truck.

This is exactly what my point is....given the above changes in battery capacity, battery life, and the towing/hauling abilities of the vehicle diesels will die off as new production vehicles.

The question then becomes at what costs?? Do you want a new $75k diesel that you spend upwards of $25k in fuel over 150k miles of driving. OR would you be willing to spend $100k up front for the same ability but without the added fuel costs??? We can digress into the exacting $$$$ if you really want to but then there are only a few examples we can use to "suggest" what the costs of ownership would be for a EV 1-ton SRW pickup.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it is super easy to move a small 100 ton Cost Guard Cutter tied to the dock. Step on a mooring line and the cutter moves right up tight to the dock. Floating on the water has a lot less friction than steel wheels on rails but you get the idea. I bet you old Jack Lalane could pull those rail cars with one foot in a cast....
BTL

It's a promo video.....yea....we all know even a human can move a 747. Given enough "pull" long enough the 747 will move. Towing numbers these days isn't about how much resistance the object has against the pulling force. It's about selling products. Drop a empty 40' SeaLand container on the flat ground, hook up whatever light duty pickup you want.....I doubt it moves far fast. Put wheels under it ....well we know that helps out quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That's just the start....watch out for the Rivian truck and the Tesla truck. Wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla truck has a P100d variant, and if the Model S has 792lbft I can only imagine what they'll give their truck.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Reactions: R&Rpowerstroke

·
Registered
697 Posts
As electric vehicles become widespread across the U.S. i doubt there will be many "free" charging stations left. Thats a selling point right now to make you think your saving money.

Someday you will see "gas stations" selling nothing but electricity at the pump(or whatever they will call it to make you feel better about your environmentally friendly purchase).

I know we all have to do our own part of saving this hunk of rock we are on. But is it my pre emission diesel killing the environment? Or the people in other countries burning tires? Or fossil fuels required to make electricity?

Its all a scam IMO. When they started forcing the emissions on the trucking companies everyone thought it was great. But do you know who paid for that? Not the trucking company. Or the store they were delivering to. They just passed the cost onto the consumer. And it just so happens that the government collect their money on a percentage(sales tax). So the more that stuff cost, the more money they make. Then the government felt bad because "cost of living" was so high. So they raised minimum wage. And guess who collects money from your wages? You guessed it....the same government that wanted "eco friendly trucks". I could go on, but you see my point.

Disclaimer- I do agree that we need to all do our part for the environment. But no one has came up with a good solution IMO. Besides wind/solar/water turbines(or whatever they are). Which im all for.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
As electric vehicles become widespread across the U.S. i doubt there will be many "free" charging stations left. Thats a selling point right now to make you think your saving money.
Like when hybrid cars were exempt from HOV regulations here. Not any more.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Diesels will still likely be built along side EV trucks. Battery technology will have it's limits. Geography and climate will dictate which vehicles will be used. We are a long ways out from an affordable reliable 1 ton truck capable of being charged quickly. Years ago the Tesla semi was a prototype and guess what it's still just a prototype.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I guess maybe because of cost and "miles per gallon", but I dont know why automakers wouldn't go diesel-electric for a car or truck. Like a ship or train- diesel drives the generator which powers the electric motors. The diesel stays loaded and is very efficient. All wheel drive would be a perfect application in my mind. Instant torque change to each wheel and a better range than EV only. The diesel speed can be optimized for efficiency......on and on and on.
Then again, ships and trains do not sit in the stop n go traffic.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I guess maybe because of cost and "miles per gallon", but I dont know why automakers wouldn't go diesel-electric for a car or truck. Like a ship or train- diesel drives the generator which powers the electric motors. The diesel stays loaded and is very efficient. All wheel drive would be a perfect application in my mind. Instant torque change to each wheel and a better range than EV only. The diesel speed can be optimized for efficiency......on and on and on.
Then again, ships and trains do not sit in the stop n go traffic.
I agree 100%. however there would be an EXTREMELY small customer base for something like that in my opinion. Someone looking for an EV wont buy it because it has a diesel running non stop. And someone looking for a diesel would probably save the money and buy and buy a regular truck with trans/diffs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts