Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my guages and everything else installed that i ordered (Guages, S&B intake. 7in turbo back stack kit, Wicked wheel, overboost annihilator, Z-plate) and i already have a ts chip. My question is what are normal readings on the guages. i kno this has probably been asked a million times but every truck is different with different mods. i also have a lift with 38in tires. i noticed today when i was cruising at 65-70 mph i was pushing like 5 psi, 800 deg. on my exaust and 125deg on my trans. what is the max temp your exaust should get up to. if i crank the chip up it will hit 1250 1300 but i let off at 1250. what is the most i can push it without damage? thanks!!:dunno:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
You won't see 28psi with your stock turbo and your set up, if you do it won't be for long!! Nothing above 25 is recommended for the stock turbo, and most tunes won't spin the factory turbo that fast. 1250 is sustained redline for the EGT's, short bursts to 1400 is okay but nothing sustained. Average trans temps are 70-90 above ambient, 70 for unloaded and 90 for loaded down, although anything below 200 is fine, sustained temps above 200 and I want more cooling.
You didn't say what tunes you were running with these numbers, if it was a aggressive race tune they may be inline, your larger tires will raise boost a bit because it is working a little harder to turn them. My boost will run under 5lbs cruising down the highway. If you can get EGT's to 1250 that easy I think you need more airflow. All the sharp bends with stacks can cause some backpressure, where does your system go to 7"? If it is just the uprights and the rest is 4" this may be your problem, or it could be tuning. Proper EGT control is a mix of good airflow and proper tuning. With my set up I have never seen 1250 or had to back out of the go pedal. A that is towing heavy up some steep mountains. If you need more info PM me.
NCH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure What tunes it is. it is a Ts chip. dont thing it has ever been re burned. i was hitting about 1200 with the 6 stage chip turned all the way up with just the 4in down pipe and a 3ft sec of 4in pipe after it before i put the stacks on. and i just put a S&B intake on it. and i am pushing like 32 psi with my stock turbo when i get into it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Running 6" lift w 37's ---boost usually under 5 psi just cruising,will jump to 26-27 when on it, trannie stays right around 130- a little warmer and i have seen 145 max, pyro usually around 800 sometimes down lower , if i open it up will jump to 12-1250 in a few seconds.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
You are seeing 32 lbs of boost with a stock turbo?????? Where are you getting you're reading from? If this is correct that stock turbo won't live very long, their live is drastically reduced past 25lbs.

nch

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Yep, even my early 99 would easily hold 30 psi and push 32 with the TS chip set on 140+ and the stock turbo. It lasted about 2 years with me hammering it hard every day before it started to whine, lasted about 3 more months then it broke the shaft and the exhaust turbine feel off. Now with the new D-66 she does good to hold 28 psi but has more power all the way through the rpm range. The wicked wheel should help with surge and that should help your turbo to live longer than mine did, maybe.

Mine would idle at 300* cruise at around 600* and hit 1400* in about 10 seconds or less with the TS tuning on high. I try to keep her below 1500 and try to not go above 1300 for more than a few seconds. I don't like to run sustained over 1100 for more than a few minutes, no scientific reasons that’s just the numbers I feel warm and fuzzy with.

I don’t like to see the tranny get too warm, heat kills an auto tranny, more heat = less life. With my current setup I have never seen over 150*, even towing a tractor 300 miles on a 90+ degree day and driving it hard. Adding a big extra cooler is cheap insurance, the Trucool 40K I have is around $120.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts