Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one for sale and wondering what they are worth and if they are any good???? I am havnig problems with mine and the surgin issue. Would this be a good improvment for the truck in my sig??? they are asking $1100.00. Let me know what you guys think

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
GTP38R from my friends in Pueblo!

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
Found one for sale and wondering what they are worth and if they are any good???? I am havnig problems with mine and the surgin issue. Would this be a good improvment for the truck in my sig??? they are asking $1100.00. Let me know what you guys think
isn't a new one just a little bit more than that?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
You know who Im talking about.... I dont want to say it and get banned again.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gotcha. myspace..... :thumb:

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
If it's a 38R its not that bad of a deal... never heard of a 35r though :confused:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's a 38R its not that bad of a deal... never heard of a 35r though :confused:
what a 38r worth? and can turbos get screwed up by heavy impact? even if they are not directly hit?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
turbo should be fine

38r's are usually over 1500 new.......

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how about an ats five star torque converter ? or a ats ported compressor housing ? what are they worth?

·
Registered
497 Posts
how about an ats five star torque converter ? or a ats ported compressor housing ? what are they worth?
CRAP!!!

The 38R should be a good turbo for u. If it is fairly new but barely used, jump on that deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just did an install for the next issue of Diesel Builder on a '99 F-350 with right at 200,000 miles on the new PowerMax kit from Garrett with a GTP38R. His baseline run made 238 horsepower and about 550 on torque with a Superchips (early model one). He was making 23 pounds of boost and after installing the Powermax Without adjusting the wastegate or programming he was making 19, however, it now spools up alot faster and feels strong. The ball bearing GT has an 88mm compressor wheel and the stock unit is 80mm. It feels smoother, runs smoother and whistles loud. We decided to bolt on a MBRP Cool Duals to see if we could get some good power out of it. But we will have to wait, we are going to the dyno monday to get the final numbers.

I will post them when we get back.

As for the price, I think the entire PowerMax kit is about 1800 NEW.

josh

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
^ dump the superchips and get some custom programming. That'll gain you more power then putting duals on a diesel :thumb:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Click the link in my sig "got surge".

Nice video of a 38r...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Click the link in my sig "got surge".

Nice video of a 38r...
sounds like there is a lot of surging in that video. :confused: thats what i am trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We just did an install for the next issue of Diesel Builder on a '99 F-350 with right at 200,000 miles on the new PowerMax kit from Garrett with a GTP38R. His baseline run made 238 horsepower and about 550 on torque with a Superchips (early model one). He was making 23 pounds of boost and after installing the Powermax Without adjusting the wastegate or programming he was making 19, however, it now spools up alot faster and feels strong. The ball bearing GT has an 88mm compressor wheel and the stock unit is 80mm. It feels smoother, runs smoother and whistles loud. We decided to bolt on a MBRP Cool Duals to see if we could get some good power out of it. But we will have to wait, we are going to the dyno monday to get the final numbers.

I will post them when we get back.

As for the price, I think the entire PowerMax kit is about 1800 NEW.

josh
So the GTP38R isnt a "big spool" turbo. It will just spool smoother and get your boost up faster?? Correct? And how does the GTP38R do on surging, cause thats what i would really like to get rid of. My stock turbo goes nuts. And i cant tow anything now with out having problems. And i know i can tighten my waste gate, but that wont competely get rid of it. And thats what i want to do.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
sounds like there is a lot of surging in that video. :confused: thats what i am trying to get rid of.

Yes there is... Thats why I dont run it anymore...:thumb:

IMHO just get a ATS housing if your not going to go any further into the mods...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts