Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Ive ready most of the post on the upfitters for the 6.4. I wanted to verify 100%. I have wired my hot to the appropriate blunt cut upfitter wire. For the ground, I'm tapping into the wiring harness that goes by the drivers door sill. Ground is black and violet/purple color. Its bigger/thicker than the other wires around it. Is that correct? I don't want to blow anything up lol.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
31,281 Posts
so you are wiring a device to one of your upfitter outputs and using the blunt cut as the passthru to get thru the fire wall
and you are asking where to ground the - side of the device you are wiring ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you are wiring a device to one of your upfitter outputs and using the blunt cut as the passthru to get thru the fire wall
and you are asking where to ground the - side of the device you are wiring ?
I'm wiring a backup camera that I will hook to my travel trailer so I can flip the switch and it powers it anytime,not just reverse. I'm going through one of the grommets in the floorboard under drivers feet. Not using the pass through wires.
Follow up, I don't have factory nav, I installed aftermarket. Went through same hole for the trucks backup camera, but hooked power at the reverse light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not going to the hood area outside. So will my idea work, to ground the camera to the main ground line that is in the wiring bundle/harness in the drivers side door sill that is black with a violet stripe?

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Yes but you might get ”noise“ on your camera depending on what current is going through it. Why not just attach a ring terminal and go to a random nut and stud?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll do that. I can probably find something under the truck for the ground. Appreciate yalls help greatly!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the upfitter hot for switch #4. That part was easy. It was where to ground it was my concern. I didn't see alot up under the steering wheel area.

·
Administrator
31,281 Posts
probably can find ?
Without a doubt you can find a ground ,, use a sheet metal screw or loosen a bolt and use a terminal to capture under it

·
Administrator
31,281 Posts
you are grounding the camera ? ground it way back by the camera not under the dash unless it is in a cable cover with the positive ,, then just find a screw on the dash metal structure

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do. I just figured I would use that ground wire that was running near where I ran my camera power wire into the truck at the floorboard. One wire to that ground and the other to the upfitter hot wire (one of the bundle of 4 wires).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The camera is going onto my travel trailer, so I have to run a long power line from back of trailer, then a connection at the hitch, then a line from hitch to upfitter switch line.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hmmm.... I'm putting some thought into this. My idea (for my truck) is to use a dpdt switch, one side turn on the trucks rear view (when in reverse), flip the switch the other way and you get the trailer cam (or front camera, whatever), always on. Here is one issue with "always on"..... You loose functionality of the stereo, because it is in "rear view". If you have an rca "video in" ability on the radio, this might be a better option (depends on if you still have other channels (am/fm, BT etc) available at the same time......just thinking out loud.....
Wiring the camera @ the trailer can be easily done completely on the trailer side, except for the rca cable. Wire the camera to the taillight wire on the trailer, ground to the trailer frame. This has the camera powered anytime the trailer is hooked up AND the lights are activated in the cab. Next, run the rca to the front of the trailer, probably wire tied to the 7way connector, for ease of use and less "mess". The run a 2nd rca from the area of the trucks 7way connector to the radio.... Now, here's the problem.... You can't have 2 cameras tied to the stereo rca w/o someway to switch between them.... (why I was considering a dpdt switch), but you can use a relay to control this, with the up fitter controlling the relay (I think it's 2 relays, actually). The relay would be 'normally open' and leave the trucks rear view camera operational. When the up fitter is activated, the relay would be in the 'closed' position, disconnecting the truck camera and activating power to the rear view trigger of the stereo, and, since the trailer camera is on, that's the signal the stereo would receive..

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts