Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ****.

I went to the money spending station and filled my truck up. When I left I made a turn and got on it, not WOT, but gave it some throttle. When the truck got to 60 mph I let off and coasted. I heard a very high pitch grinding noise. It doesn't do it unless I am doing around 45 mph or higher.

Bearings?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well turns out the hubs were locked?

Anyways, the u-joints seem to be pretty damn loose. There shouldn't be any play in these right?

They both move about 1/2 an inch....

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
time to replace. I cant believe how un helpfull this site has become...

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truck only has 33,800 miles..

The sound went off and they are not moving at all now that I unlocked the hubs....

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
really, cuz he posted at 11:30 and didnt get an answer by 11:45?
Ive posted several legit questions on this site and people view it but ignore it. Thats what I was talking about. Yes he did get a timely reply.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are now no symptoms that they are bad. What ARE the symptoms?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Of the hub bearings or the u-joints in the axle?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Any help on how to do that?
you need a press to press the old ones out, and possibly a torch (BE CAREFUL) its not that hard if there on the drive shaft, the ones by the hubs are a pain because you need to pull the axle shafts out to get to, to check and see if there bad lock the hubs put the T case in 4 wheel, crawl under neither and see if there is any play.

JMO, if your going to do them id do all 4 in the front so you dont have to worry about them again.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
yeah its going to be a pain but you should be able to do it with some basic tools and a vice

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
If your ujoints are going bad it will affect your steering. Trust me. They wont want to let you turn very good.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your ujoints are going bad it will affect your steering. Trust me. They wont want to let you turn very good.
I turn fine though. Like I said, when I unlocked the hubs there was no play in them..........

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I see. I was just saying what has happend to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts