Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

Finally bought a '02 Powerstroke. Previously had an '02 F150 w/ the little 4.6 v8 and 5 speed. I routinely overloaded it hauling 5 round bales of hay at a time, or a 16ft gooseneck pulling cattle (FYI... the 5 speed is only rated at around 2500lbs. It will pull 11,000 if you start in 4wd low and baby the clutch).

Have been lurking on this forum for awhile debating when I would upgrade to a 3/4 ton, and a rouge mini van recently made that decision for me. Thus, I'm now excited to test the limits of the diesel.

However... I'm beginning to wonder if I've been taken on this particular truck. When test driving I was always by myself, and it never sounded any different from inside the cab than any other F250 other than more road noise due to the mud tires. I did run it down the highway with the windows down, and when idling and me walking around it had a 'tinny' sound to the exhaust.

Driving it the next day after purchase with the windows down, I heard momentary 'whaaaaap whaaappp' that startled me. It wasn't till I went through the next underpass that I realized it was the exhaust reflecting off the cement wall. Perhaps a hole in the muffler that was patched and now blown out?

So I crawl underneath and guess what? There IS no muffler. One mod I can mark off the list. I feel pretty stupid because I have no idea how I missed this. You can barely notice in the cab, I swear!

I've never had a diesel before, and haven't listened to one run without a muffler, so I don't know if this is normal, but it has a sound that is somewhat 'sick' to me (sick as in ill, not as in 'that's sick man!'). It's a bit like if you put a playing card on your bicycle when you were a kid so that the spokes would make that clacking sound, but it's more abrasive and unpleasant. Combined with the turbo whistle of course.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if something catastrophic is about to happen. For the most part, it runs really well after warming up, but I think I might be experiencing a slight 'diesel miss' around 1200 rpm. It just stumbles a tad, but nothing that made me think twice when purchasing after driving 6 or 7 other '99 to '02 Powerstrokes.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations of a good diesel mechanic in the OKC area?

·
She's paid for!!!!!!
661 Posts
:ORG welcome:
Not sure what the noise may be. But here is a :bump: maybe one of the Techs will chime in or one of the Sooner Powerstrokes will help you find a shop. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
:welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1:​

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
:icon_ford::ORG welcome::icon_ford:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. As far as the sound you are hearing don't know if it means there is something wrong with the truck or not. What I can tell you is that I am running with an open exhaust and the tip dumping out right behind the rear passenger door. My truck has a "distinctive" sound especially when I get on it.
Are any of your gauges reading out of normal range? Check you fluids oil, coolant, etc... and just keep an eye / ear on it.
Also, welcome to the .ORG! There is an incredible amount of friendly people with extensive knowledge of these trucks. Hope yours serves you well.
Craig

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
:welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:

Can you have someone else start it while you crawl underneath and see if you can pinpoint it?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
:welcome1:

·
Registered
659 Posts
you might check and see if the epbv valve is not opening i have seen that many times.they are used to warm up the motor faster but as they get older the sensor does not always open it after you start driving and can make a awfull noise.i just unplugged mine.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. As far as the sound you are hearing don't know if it means there is something wrong with the truck or not. What I can tell you is that I am running with an open exhaust and the tip dumping out right behind the rear passenger door. My truck has a "distinctive" sound especially when I get on it.
Are any of your gauges reading out of normal range? Check you fluids oil, coolant, etc... and just keep an eye / ear on it.
Also, welcome to the .ORG! There is an incredible amount of friendly people with extensive knowledge of these trucks. Hope yours serves you well.
Craig
agreed with the distinctive sound rumbling outa your tailpipe :thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

The sound is distinctive alright. Nothing else seems out of the ordinary. Gauges say everythings alright. Has a boost gauge that appears to work properly, and a pyrometer that says my temps are staying low. I haven't tried putting my foot over the exhaust and seeing if I hear it escaping elsewhere.

Will also check into the epbv valve. I does take awhile to warm up.

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts