Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
i have not figured out yet if and or what kind of mods mine has if any but i know she will run like a scalded cat though.

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
23mpg diesel

23 no way, there was a 24mpg diesel in a magazine but he was lowered and had a bed topper at a certain angle and a crapton of upgrades, so iguess it can be done but it aint easy

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK Guys, My truck got to where it would barely crank and it was guzzeling the fuel so I took it into my part time mechanic that turns wrenches at a Ford dealership in Columbia, SC. He replaced and tweeked several things and now I am running about 16mpg. GREAT improvement over my normal 10. The paperwork of what was replaced is in the truck so I can't provide a list of what was done to fix my problem.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i just did a 8 hour trip, got 17-18 with going 70-80, got a fiberglass bed cover if that helps much, k&n replacement filter. think if went to a cone and a 4 inch exhaust it would help any?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
More air in, more exhaust out will help with the millage. I would consider a 4'' exhaust very seriously, and you might want to go for a better intake system as well. The KN is not a real popular item here on the site due to the fact that it does not filter as well as some of the others. I prefer the AFE systems myself, but there are several good ones out there, just do a search, and see what different people have to say about them, and make your decision from there.

Gord.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys, I have a 01 7.3 with 158,000 and I just made a run to Indianapolis (with no load on it) and averaged 19.5.....a few times on the really flat world of Illinois it creeped up over 20....I was tickled to death with that....This one is bone stock by the way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i'm lookin for the stirrup type steps for my 97 cc psd. just like the ones in paynes link to the stevebaz truck. i've been lookin for them everywhere but with no luck. thanks

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
I think they are made by Carr. They have been updated since the superdutys came out, but I think they still work on the OBS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
thanks pipelayer, thats what i'm lookin for

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a superchips, exhaust and cold air and I saw a best of 20-21mpg driving from central il to evansville in. I drove it right on 55 mph. if I drive over 60 it seems to drop down to around 16-17... I love this truck been nothing but good to me. i do however change oil every 3k miles and service the truck quite frequently. I learned real fast being a school bus mechanic that changing oil more frequently helped mileage more than anything... I had 260+ buses to service. I know several guys that change the oil in their trucks every 10-15k miles I think they are crazy too... cuz they run the dog piss out of them too. especially with mods if you have a fuel soaked oil it will thin out obviously which in my experience has been nothing but bad for fuel mileage. just my 2cents
brandon

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
PAYNE 5757: iM A RETIRED AT 1 S2F/P3 TYPE USS HORNET& VP23 , NEVER HEARD OF THEM HUH ??? i RETIRED IN 76 GOOD LUCK 2 U.......... BILL 94, 4" TURBO BACK , GUAGES, EDGE 4 TOWING ,5 SPEED 137K

Nice to see another TRON on here. Thanks for your service. Youd probably be surprised that all the P3's at my last command were probably alot like the ones you worked on. VP94 had the oldest P3's left when I was there. They were all P3C update 2.5's.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Any one has advice on turbo? I want a quicker response out of the hole

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
47 Posts
I sure do ... 24 mpg + 97 PS 4x4

I find it easy to believe because i do myself ..... 97 f250 Super duty 73. PS 4x4 longbox, heck i get 18 mpg pulling a 27 ft 5th wheel .... i use the evolution super chip on level 1 only....

so it's feasible ... haha

·
Registered
47 Posts
mileage

ok it basically comes down to the gears in the diff for the mpg
my 97 which has the 4.10 gets 14 tops in the city/hwy mix driving
man that's gotta suck ...i do better than that pulling 27 ft 5th wheel LOL! there is someting wrong with your rig

mine is 97 f250 SD SC, LB 4x4

·
Registered
134 Posts
my 95 with 231k miles, a zf5 and 4.10s gets 14-15 in town, and 17-19 hwy. and despite popular belief, i use a k and n full intake. just keep it oiled. dont really understand what the beef is.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts