Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was running great. Cranks no start, new cam sensor no change. No tach reading.
Did feel strange right before I parked it to cut firewood. Got a little more peppy feeling.
Glow plugs are drawing on battery good. Unplugged the sensor on drivers front valve cover, no change
Tach seemed to wiggle a hair at first but now no movement whatsoever.
250k in truck. Ts chip. Ill remove it once the rain stops.
Ive poked around the internet. They say my tach should read 150 rpm while cranking.
Any ideas guys. I have a background in automotive but not much with diesels.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I'd check each fuse with a multi meter. If it was a bumpy road then i'd suspect the fuel bowl heater grounded out and blew maxi fuse. #22 If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd check each fuse with a multi meter. If it was a bumpy road then i'd suspect the fuel bowl heater grounded out and blew maxi fuse. #22 If I remember correctly.
That would make pretty good sense. Very bumpy. I thought i smelled something when i initially went to start it. Can it start without fuel bowl heater? And that fuse must be under the hood. I never knew these had a fuel heater. How much do the heaters cost or do you have to buy a whole assembly? Would the glow plugs still work?
Thanks and merry Christmas eve!
I rolled the truck down a hill loaded and made it close enough to get towed out. Triple a towing is picky. So its in my driveway on the charger.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
With the winter blend fuel we have these days most people unplug the fuel bowl heater.

Yes, the fuse is under the hood and I recommend to check every fuse.

I would also clean the battery terminals and make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the winter blend fuel we have these days most people unplug the fuel bowl heater.

Yes, the fuse is under the hood and I recommend to check every fuse.

I would also clean the battery terminals and make sure they are tight.
I will do . Could be not cranking fast enough like the old idi motors?
Its Its officially Christmas in Arizona. 12:19am i hope everyone has a good Christmas. Ill try. I just had the vacuum pump take a dump days ago. Damn truck always breaks around Christmas.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Yes these need every bit of cranking juice. A SLIGHTLY loose terminal will cause poor cranking.

Everything always seems to break at once.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes these need every bit of cranking juice. A SLIGHTLY loose terminal will cause poor cranking.

Everything always seems to break at once.
Looks like it cranks normal and tach is reading normal on fully charged batteries and all fuses test good inside cab also are good. Trying to scan pcm. I had luck with one app on andriod. I forgot what it was however. Dashcomand and torque dont work

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car Gauge Pro app will do everything you need.
I was hoping some other app would do it besides that 1 I actually paid for that app to use on my 97 GMC to read the CMP retard and I paid for it and it did not work and I asked the guy a question about it and he told me that it no longer works on a 97 GMC and refunded me my money for the app so I would have to buy it again ... didn't particularly care for the user interface and I'm not sure what doing a injector buzz test is going to confirm from my current Situation. Is the one pretty sure I can rule out the Cam sensor and I have a feeling that everything else is probably working as far as globe plugs and e heater

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If there's white smoke while cranking then the injectors are firing.

If there's no white smoke then a buzz test will tell you if IDM and connections to each injector are good.

The app can also tell you IPR % and ICP pressure to rule out a possible HPOP issue.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havent pulled the ts chip yet. I tried to start it i didnt get many tries before it was slow cranking. But it is cold out like 33 so anyway all i have is a 15 amp slow charger that works at the moment. I guess im thinking its a fuel issue. Oil pressure or something. I seem to be able to sxan pcm with a few different apps. Including torque pro and dash command pro

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there's white smoke while cranking then the injectors are firing.

If there's no white smoke then a buzz test will tell you if IDM and connections to each injector are good.

The app can also tell you IPR % and ICP pressure to rule out a possible HPOP issue.
No smoke of any kind. Its not firing at all. Not even one bit. How can i measure oil pressure without it running? Will it?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought the car gauge pro. Can connect and see basic stuff. But get a error afrer a long while when trying to do tje injector buzz or glow plug test. I know i did it once before on this truck a few years back. I can see certain data like pcm voltage sag when glow plugs are on and percentage of duty. So i wonder if the idm went? Mine has a beans diesel performance idm.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cant attach pics on here anymore. But i got a p1668 powertrain pcm idm communications error after trying to do the injector buzz test. I didnt notice it said idm till now. I took a screen shot. Gp show 98.2 % duty . Shows sae j1850 pwm for protocol so i think its working. I did remove the ts chip. Im gunna try to get a idm tomorrow if you think i should. Theres a 94.5 psd auto at the junkyard . Everything was all there last week lol.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Yes the IDM could be a possibility and I would swap it.

The glow plug test won't tell you much on the scanner. You can test across the large terminals to see if voltage is going through the relay. Even if there is power through the relay that doesn't mean the glow plugs are working unless they have been replaces recently.

Glow plugs working or not it won't matter since the injectors are not firing.

For quick checks you can remove the the fuel bowl cover and filter and see if there is fuel in the bowl. If there is then good, if not then refill it and crank and see what happens.

You can pull the plug on top of the HPOP and see if there is oil in there. If it is within 1/2" of the top then you are good.

If HPOP and fuel pump are working then i'd look at an electrical issue such as the IDM, valve cover gaskets and connections as well as the UVCH.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the IDM could be a possibility and I would swap it.

The glow plug test won't tell you much on the scanner. You can test across the large terminals to see if voltage is going through the relay. Even if there is power through the relay that doesn't mean the glow plugs are working unless they have been replaces recently.

Glow plugs working or not it won't matter since the injectors are not firing.

For quick checks you can remove the the fuel bowl cover and filter and see if there is fuel in the bowl. If there is then good, if not then refill it and crank and see what happens.

You can pull the plug on top of the HPOP and see if there is oil in there. If it is within 1/2" of the top then you are good.

If HPOP and fuel pump are working then i'd look at an electrical issue such as the IDM, valve cover gaskets and connections as well as the UVCH.
Well the idm is $23 or $28 plus core plus fees at the junkyard depending on if the wannna call it a ecu or a module. Im pretty broke so i sure hope it s the problem. Im on my way out to get it. These trucks usually get stripped fast here . It maube gone. This is a 94.5 year psd i hope its compatible. Dont know what UVch is? Upper vlave cover harness? 27 degrees out this morning. Fun fun.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If it is the 94.5 Powerstroke then yes it should work.

The PCM and IDM are different. One is the "brain" and the other is Injector Drive Module.

UVCH = Under Valve Cover Harness

It is what connects to the valve cover gasket and goes to the injecors and glow plugs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it is the 94.5 Powerstroke then yes it should work.

The PCM and IDM are different. One is the "brain" and the other is Injector Drive Module.

UVCH = Under Valve Cover Harness

It is what connects to the valve cover gasket and goes to the injecors and glow plugs.
i know but some people at the junkyard dont care what it is and will charge me for a ecu because it looks like one and argue with me. Im not sure why the people there lately have been bad, the quit on a almost weekly or monthly basis yet take their job too seriously and dont know jack. I tried my other adapter as i wasnt sure what one worked before. I go in click ford, powertrain and load all pids, save, then buzz test. I get the idm communications error code each time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts