Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my sct xcal3 today now I just need to get my custom tunes from dj's. I don't have head studs yet but I will in a couple months. So I would like a economy tune a tow tune and looneys. So what does everyone think or is there another one I should get. I tow a 21ft toy hauler once or twice a month and my boat and other than that a lot of normal driving. So any opinions would be great thanks

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anything guys

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I'm happy with DJ's tunes. I have not tried Innovative or anyone else's yet... Looney increased my MPG by 3 when I "babied" it and no racing around... Trying regular driving style now... Good Luck and have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Those are sensible tunes for your setup. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...when I get home from work today I'm going to try the stock tunes can't wait but really can't wait for the custom ones

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a quick question about dj's tow tune. Should I use it when I am towing an aluminum trailer with 3quads, 3 dirtbikes for about 6 hours. It weighs around 3000 pounds

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would just watch the egt, and if it trends higher with the load, stop and grab a coke and switch to the tow tune. Most tow tunes run close to stock injector timing, which keeps the egt's low, and helps at the bottom end. I tow my 16ft. Carolina Skiff on Looney some times when I forget, and it stays below 1000f. Any heavier than that, I always run the tow tune.

FORDMUGG- Try the Street Looney. It spools the turbo faster, and slightly lessens the cloud when passing on the freeway. That's what I run daily. Their straight economy will supprise you, too. It gets up and goes. Alot of "out of the hole" power that's good for traffic situations. The Looney will give you the best MPG though.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I have the Street tune in as my dayly driver. I can get bout 18 mpg on my 30 miles commute to work with this tune. Its fast enough too...smokes like a train. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would just watch the egt, and if it trends higher with the load, stop and grab a coke and switch to the tow tune. Most tow tunes run close to stock injector timing, which keeps the egt's low, and helps at the bottom end. I tow my 16ft. Carolina Skiff on Looney some times when I forget, and it stays below 1000f. Any heavier than that, I always run the tow tune.

FORDMUGG- Try the Street Looney. It spools the turbo faster, and slightly lessens the cloud when passing on the freeway. That's what I run daily. Their straight economy will supprise you, too. It gets up and goes. Alot of "out of the hole" power that's good for traffic situations. The Looney will give you the best MPG though.
So are you saying that i would be best if I run it on looney while towing my toys around, just watch my egt's. I would love to do that but....i dont have a pyrometer yet, i ordered from xdp and they have it on backorder so i wont have the pyrometer by thursday when I am making the trip. Also did you say that looney gets the best milage while towing? What kind of mileage does dj's tow tune usally get. How is looney gas mileage compared to economy when not towing?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I am trying out there new special Looney wild for the newer 6.0s... (Not recommended with out studs) Right now i have it installed for daily driving and it is a harsh.... Tranny shifts very firm... And it has a noticeable power increase over the regular looney.... I will probally go back to the looney for my daily though... And leave the looney wild as my track file!!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I personally like the street tune the best, I get about 18mpg with it mostly hiway with a little stop and go. In town it gets to 14-15

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why SCT if it blows head gaskets?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
SCT is by far the safest tuner for the 6.0... Its just the higher you turn up the horsepower the better chance of the headgaskets to go... Headgaskets go when trucks are stock too...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Who says it blows head gaskets?

I have not heard anything about it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would never run any tune while towing-- ask anyone who has blown heads -they tow - I run the economy tune and a low hp street tune form dj's I asked to have it set at 70hp because i dont have gauges -yet - save your stock and i would not run any preset tune only custom you will see you will wake up the beast even if you use just the economy tune its great

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you see any MPG's increase with these lower tunes?

I get 18-19 hwy now I am just looking to get more if possible.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would never run any tune while towing-- ask anyone who has blown heads -they tow - I run the economy tune and a low hp street tune form dj's I asked to have it set at 70hp because i dont have gauges -yet - save your stock and i would not run any preset tune only custom you will see you will wake up the beast even if you use just the economy tune its great
Alright sounds good I am just going to use my tow tune; since i dont have gauges yet

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this has nothing to do with this thread but what is everyone running for motor oil?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so i talked to vivian today and im going with an economy tune, tow/street tune i think thats what it is and looneys:crazy:....so i should get them today but for the meanwhile i ran a stock tune ............ohhhhhh yeah that woke up the beast and i also smoked out an intersection it was great :burnout
so if im reading correctly then the tow/street tune would be best to run all the time?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts