Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I picked up a 2001 four-door, F-250 super duty, 7.3 powerstroke... About 260,000 on the clock, and about 60,000 mi on the transmission rebuild according to the papers... Not sure where to start

The brakes work but don't seem to be power assisted...

The truck steers but definitely does not have functioning power steering

The previous owner mentioned that he had replaced the front brake hoses and that all the problems seem to start after that

it doesn't seem like it's going into four-wheel drive... But I might not know how to put it into four-wheel drive

The temperature gauge is broken, previous owner purchased a new one but has yet to install it

The steering seems just a little loose not too bad, maybe some of that will go away after I get the power steering working

The interior is filthy, it looks like the The seats are going to need replaced, of course it's a Lariat... The rest of the interior actually looks to be a nice condition

The cab is in pretty decent shape... I did find a very small bit of rest on the driver's side rear cab corner, it's a slightly larger than a pinhole

The bed is absolutely fubar ed

So where do I start... Obviously the brakes are pretty important, as is the power steering on something so heavy

·
Registered
425 Posts
Okay so I picked up a 2001 four-door, F-250 super duty, 7.3 powerstroke... About 260,000 on the clock, and about 60,000 mi on the transmission rebuild according to the papers... Not sure where to start

The brakes work but don't seem to be power assisted...

The truck steers but definitely does not have functioning power steering

The previous owner mentioned that he had replaced the front brake hoses and that all the problems seem to start after that

it doesn't seem like it's going into four-wheel drive... But I might not know how to put it into four-wheel drive

The temperature gauge is broken, previous owner purchased a new one but has yet to install it

The steering seems just a little loose not too bad, maybe some of that will go away after I get the power steering working

The interior is filthy, it looks like the The seats are going to need replaced, of course it's a Lariat... The rest of the interior actually looks to be a nice condition

The cab is in pretty decent shape... I did find a very small bit of rest on the driver's side rear cab corner, it's a slightly larger than a pinhole

The bed is absolutely fubar ed

So where do I start... Obviously the brakes are pretty important, as is the power steering on something so heavy
The power steering pump runs the power assist therefore directly related to the hydraulic braking system and your psp may be needing replaced.

4wd- if you turn your switch and the 4wd lights come on you should hear the actuator at the transfer case. Then the front hubs are activated by a vacuum and overtime may fail due to a leak. I just eliminated the vacuum lines on mine and lock the hubs manually.

Hope this helps you get started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power steering pump runs the power assist therefore directly related to the hydraulic braking system and your psp may be needing replaced.
the PO mentioned that he had installed a cheap PSP a few years ago, I BET it has failed

·
Registered
425 Posts
the PO mentioned that he had installed a cheap PSP a few years ago, I BET it has failed
Very possible. Also, he may not have known but these psp's are meant to use ATF

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you have the dash switch for 4X4, that'd be the ESOF system. When you turn the knob to 4X4, and have like the A/C on, does the air switch to defrost? That would be a good sign that there is a vacuum leak in the front hub actuating system. I unplugged the solenoid/actuator that's on the passenger side fender well on my truck, and just lock the hubs manually like oilcan mentioned. I don't know if there's a seal that's leaking in my hubs or if the lines are just rotten. Could be a combination of both.

Along with the power steering pump issues, I'd check the oil and change it, along with the fuel filter just anyway (Motorcraft oil filter is like $10 on Amazon, the Motorcraft fuel filter is generally under $30). Might as well give it the best start it can have while in your possession!

·
Registered
425 Posts
So it sound like a new PSP is a good place to start, as well as a full fluid flush of the PS system
I would try this first.....
1)suck out the psp reservoir as much as possible
2) fill with Mobile1 ATF
3)start truck and turn wheels left to right a few times

repeat steps 1-3 two or three times to get as much of old fluid out as possible

You might get lucky

Reactions: ericfx1984
1 - 7 of 7 Posts