Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a new 3/4 ton diesel was needing some advice on what year to buy. Are the 08's/09's any good??? Is a used 6.0L a rig worth looking for?? My goal is to own a reliable diesel that I can buy some aftermarket parts for it. I want it to be a nice, fast rig! I would appreciate some very honest advice. Thanks, John!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any... I just want to buy a truck and want to know which one is the best.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
The New 6.4L is a good motor...I think once you get rid of the DPF that it has a lot of potential...That's where i'd spend it...then send some $$$$ my way, I can help you spend some more, lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 years ago I traded off my 03 F350 6.0L. I am thinking that was a mistake. Now I just not sure which way to go. I have been reading into the 6.4's and getting rid of the DPF seems like it has been a problem. Is that true???

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
As long as you don't have emission requirements, you shouldn't have an issue of you do it right. You need to make sure you have the right electronics to trick the computer into thinking its still there.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
7.3 is legendary, bulletproof, one of the most reliable engines of all time if taken care of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will the DPF delete void warranty?

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
lol... yup, but keep your stock exhaust so you can return it back if you ever have any issues... you should be fine

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't buy any PSD diesel other than a 7.3... (the 99-03's) that's just my two cents though. They had a lot of power and torque, didn't give any trouble, and get a little better fuel economy even at that than the 6.0's and definitely the 6.4's.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
The 6.4 IMO has the most potential of all the motors...its going to be more reliable since they learned their lesson with the 6.0, its quieter (for now ) and produces way more power and has twin turbos from the factory...Lose the DPF get a good tune and you will see 18 mpg or more with 500 reliable horsepower

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
Wow that leaves it wide open :).... I would first start a search and see what's actually available in your area.

If you've got the $$$$ go brand new!:thumb:

·
Registered
224 Posts
7.3 is legendary, bulletproof, one of the most reliable engines of all time if taken care of.
I wouldn't buy any PSD diesel other than a 7.3... (the 99-03's) that's just my two cents though. They had a lot of power and torque, didn't give any trouble, and get a little better fuel economy even at that than the 6.0's and definitely the 6.4's.
I agree with these. My dad bought our 2002 used with only 90,000 on the clock and we have 110,XXX on the clock now. We have had very few problems that were oil leaks. Otherwise they are the best PSD out there. This is just my two cents of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the good info. I just traded for a 05 F250 6.0L with a 6" lift!! Now I need some good info on what performance parts to start off with.

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
go with a decent used 6.0L, then use the left over money to get some goodies.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
the 1st order of business...get some ARP studs..once those are on, them ask again, we can give you some great ideas then...lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts