Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Is the key on when your hooking the grounds back up. If not something is drawing power from the batteries. That is why you are getting the sparks.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
no the key is off. how could the chip be drawing power??
Not the chip but something is drawing power to cause the sparks. Cell phone charger plugged into the power point. CB radio turned on, something is drawing current.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the chip but something is drawing power to cause the sparks. Cell phone charger plugged into the power point. CB radio turned on, something is drawing current.

the key is out. i have no idea what could be drawing current. If thats the case, then its been doing it for a while then

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
the key is out. i have no idea what could be drawing current. If thats the case, then its been doing it for a while then
Most likely yes and it is probablly so minimal that it is not killing the batteries.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most likely yes and it is probablly so minimal that it is not killing the batteries.

ok i was just checking, i'll go hook them up and drive around and hope the chip works. I won't worry about it, because if its been like that for a while, and it didn't kill the battery, it won't start now

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
ok i was just checking, i'll go hook them up and drive around and hope the chip works. I won't worry about it, because if its been like that for a while, and it didn't kill the battery, it won't start now
It won't start now say what.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
i meant that if it didn't kill the battery by now, it can't be pulling much current, and it won't be a problem
Oh ok you scared me for a minute. Don't mind me I been up at work for a long time today with very little sleep.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If im not mistaking there is a light on the under side of the hood ( in the engine compartment ) and when the hood is open that light comes on. It could be that, that is drawing power from your batteries, or if the door is open i think there are lights on it as well that come on when you open the door.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
If im not mistaking there is a light on the under side of the hood ( in the engine compartment ) and when the hood is open that light comes on. It could be that, that is drawing power from your batteries, or if the door is open i think there are lights on it as well that come on when you open the door.
You could be very correct. My light don't work no more and I have yet to replace the bulb.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ummm... the PCM draws current among many other things. :doh:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stupid me i found the problem i think. I had both grounds off. both postives on. When i go to put one ground on it will spark alittle, because its not ground to anything, and once i touch the battery post it sparks, because its grounding. Once i have one ground on, and go to the other side, and touch that post, there isn't any sparks at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts