Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have not been around that much to post lately. Anyway everyone knows that last Friday my computer fried in my truck. Well at the advice of Dave I went on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and found me a highly coveted PMT2 PCM in Wichita KS and jumped on it for $90 shipped. When it showed up I struggled and fought and cussed for a whole 5 minutes to install it (really an extremely easy swap). Truck fired right up and I went for test drive.

Pulled out on the road and just putted around for a couple minutes watching gauges and dash lights then I punched it. Boost gauge instantly hit 35 and blew and IC boot:doh:. So I jump out and fix it. Punch it again and the boost shoots way up again and pow, IC boot blows again. I cant floor my truck because all of a sudden my truck is making retarded azz boost. Any ideas?

Also my EGTs with a combo of the new turbo and PCM are running hotter. Sucks!

On the plus side the truck sounds better. Its very noticeably more powerful. Has a lil diff sounding idle. My cruise control light does not work though.:dunno: Plus my dash lights still don't come on but that's unrelated!

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got a suggestion for keeping the boots together!

2,850 Posts
Clean them really well, spray some hairspray on them, and double clamp them if you have too. My 6.0 would blow the boot at the turbo all the time until I double clamped it.

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
Stock turbo? Are you running a boost fooler or chip now as well Ryan

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are the second person to mention hair spray. Why does that work?

·
Registered
402 Posts
cant help ya but been following your posts and im glad youre back on the road buddy

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
Weird. You should not be hitting 35 psi without a boost fooler. Did it hit that high with the old PCM?

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weird. You should not be hitting 35 psi without a boost fooler. Did it hit that high with the old PCM?
Yes just not without a 5.6 resistor and not as often. I do get the SES light but my truck doesn't feel like it defuels, never has.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stock turbo? Are you running a boost fooler or chip now as well Ryan
Oh ya I forgot, as you already know it is a stock turbo but its off an '03 and the waste gate is unpluged!

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
The resistor is the cause of your EGT's. Get a real chip

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figure that they are higher then normal because of it but they are still higher then with the old computer!

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
I figure that they are higher then normal because of it but they are still higher then with the old computer!
They may be because of the different programming. Check for boost leaks

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I will do that!

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
I dont even think your truck classifies as an early 99 anymore!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts