Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
raced my buddy's smarty tuned 5.9 and lost:doh:

Current set up: extreme street tune by eric, no studs/egr still functioning, 4" turbo back exhaust.(upgraded fuel pressure kit and banjo's to come)

any suggestions to help without spending big$$

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Your tire size doesn't help. Really need studs and EGR delete with the X-race file. I've outran a couple 5.9's with the Smarty and other mods.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know how much of a difference there is, but I raced a 5.9 with a Bullydog and smoked him like he was standing still. I have the IDP Xrace tune on stock head bolts.

·
Registered
2000 F350 Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4wd
1,425 Posts
Come on now - with my Banks on level 6 & 35" tires I smoked a tuned 5.9. 4 times in one night for that matter.

He had to have something else he didnt tell you about???:dunno:

·
Registered
173 Posts
What year 5.9 is it? If it's not a common rail you should beat him pretty bad. As said above get an x-race file.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
He probably had a built tranny too. A Smarty tuned 5.9 turned all the way up is pretty dang fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 2003 hes still got the stock tranny for now, 4" down pipe to 5" stacks, and an intake.

What is the benefit to having the FICM re programed? What are the best bang for you buck transmission upgrades and how much more before i need that along with studs and egr delete? And am i better off to delete the egr or get an upgraded set up. Other recommend mods

·
Registered
2000 F350 Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4wd
1,425 Posts
Studs either now or later but at some point you will need them. It's just how these 6.0's are. Tune the truck and you will need studs sooner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coolant bottle puked a few times so im figuring it wont be long before its at the dealer, hoping to get the tech to do the install then

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Do the EGR delete while it's down. Some 155's and a programmed FICM should get you ahead of him! :thumb:

Either that, or go to stock wheels and tires with an X-Race tune.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the smartys are pretty much the common rails sct they "have some get up and go" ha if your trans is stock a simple t.c will help also a tune with the tc locked in higher gears if you guys started frm a roll i bet youll get him.. 6.0s arent the quickest from a dead stop may take a little more for us to boost than him with his litle holset.. just be glad it wasnt a hemi that woulda been embarassing

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
03 cummins isn't a CR is it? if not you shoulda had him? i have eaten up all the cummins around here non CR (haven't had the chance to race a CR) and i don't even have an SCT i have a crappy edge. And the cummins i have been running are running injectors, programmers, intake, exhaust and fuel systems. You should have won? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I see then... I now take back my previous post. CRs are pretty fast and when you throw a smarty to them they'll roll.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts