Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engines coming out christmas time to fix effed up oil pan. long story, previous owner likes to hit 4 foot deep ruts at 65. :doh: but, im wondering if its worth putting a cam and all the lower bearings in. pans coming off anyway? does anyone make a performance cam for the 7.3? dont know how it would make a difference anyway. also putting new oil pumps in. is it ok to do full synthetic oil at this point?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Nothin wrong with synthetic oil. If you are wanting to do some stuff while the engine is out, the things to do are (obviously depending on how you're building it) headstuds, injectors would be cake, valve springs, things like that. No need for a cam in my opinion. You gotta turbo.

And I think Ford cams are awesome, there's a few pics of an engine on here somewhere that grenaded (built up to 100psi of boost) and every single piece, bent or broke or cracked EXCEPT the cam lol!

While it's out though, seriously, every seal and o-ring ... that wouldn't hurt a bit. Ask Matt P about that...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Nothin wrong with synthetic oil. If you are wanting to do some stuff while the engine is out, the things to do are (obviously depending on how you're building it) headstuds, injectors would be cake, valve springs, things like that. No need for a cam in my opinion. You gotta turbo.

And I think Ford cams are awesome, there's a few pics of an engine on here somewhere that grenaded (built up to 100psi of boost) and every single piece, bent or broke or cracked EXCEPT the cam lol!

While it's out though, seriously, every seal and o-ring ... that wouldn't hurt a bit. Ask Matt P about that...
x2!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Hypermax I belive makes cams. :thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, dont know how, or why a cam would make a difference. should i replace the cam though? it has 231k HARD miles on it. i know they are roller lifters and everything though. as much as i've read and everythings, i still know more about gas engines. so im just curious. and yeah. stock cams usually are best. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I wouldn't bother honestly. Not to just do it. There's so much more that will go wrong and/or wear out than that.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
yeah, dont know how, or why a cam would make a difference. should i replace the cam though? it has 231k HARD miles on it. i know they are roller lifters and everything though. as much as i've read and everythings, i still know more about gas engines. so im just curious. and yeah. stock cams usually are best. :icon_ford:
Honestly I would just look at it and see what it looks like and decide what YOU think is best for YOU.:thumb:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Dosen't someone make a performance cam? That would be the only reason to change in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.