Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is a run down. I replaced the belt ( OEM ) about 1 year ago, it now has about 7500 miles on the belt. Its been squeaking here and there but this is where it gets interesting. The belt will squeak at cold idle like a slight chirp but now its more like a faster chirp/short short squeal. Once the truck has been driven for a while, there pretty much isnt no noise. If i spray soapy water on the belt, it'll stop instantly but then squeal a bit here and then ( this is when cold ). Id attribute that to the soap wearing off the pulley/belt.

The truck has 76k on it, and I was thinking about replace the tensioner. I can get one from Amazon for 73 shipped and its OEM. What Im wondering is, what other bearings should I replace in the idler pulleys? I dont know how many there is, nor do I know what bearings are needed for those additional pulleys.

Has anyone done this?

If you could list the bearing and the qty needed ( minus the tensioner, I'll swap that new )

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would do the other 2 idlers while you’re there. One comes on the tensioner, then you have one up by the intake and the other over by the coolant thermostat neck

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would do the other 2 idlers while you’re there. One comes on the tensioner, then you have one up by the intake and the other over by the coolant thermostat neck

Thats the plan, but Im going to buy a complete new tensioner. Mine has good tension, but 70 bucks for a new one/properly tensioned belt is okay by me.

I just need to know what the bearing numbers are one those two idlers, I have an idea, but I dont want to clutter up the thread with improper part numbers in case someone else comes along.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking about the pulley assembly. I just replaced the bearing in one of my pulleys, bearing part #6203. I think it was on the tensioner though, so not sure if it's the same. Might want to pull yours off and get part number then reinstall till new ones come in

·
Premium Member
11,684 Posts
I think @ZMANN had a list somewhere.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think Its 6203 and 6202 ( 2 each, but I dont know... ) but Im replacing the tensioner and thats one or two bearings that I wont need. Thus I dont want to buy a bearing and not need it...

Ive read somewhere that Gates updated the pulley to be better, and now Im thinking about just buying them from Rock Auto..

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I'm going to do this relatively soon. I'm just going to stick these posts here so that I have them for later. ...and in case they help anyone else. I made the attachments from the 2004 Service Manual.

Tensioner bearings (both) and smooth idler pulley bearings: 6203-2RS
Grooved Idler bearings: 6303-2RS
McMaster-Carr
For those of us that have dual alternator set ups, the above post is correct for the primary (main) belt/pulleys. The pulleys for the dual alternator set up all use the 6203-2Rs.
I just want to add to this thread, in the above post to me it reads like you need three small (6203) bearings and one large (6303) bearing. While that may be the case on a dual alternator truck, on my single alternator truck it was two each 6203 and 6303 to replace all tentioner and idler pully bearings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to do this relatively soon. I'm just going to stick these posts here so that I have them for later. ...and in case they help anyone else. I made the attachments from the 2004 Service Manual.
Thanks I have the Ford manual on CD, but I dont see much on the pulleys. Do you know what bearings are used in EACH pulley? I guess if I pull the tensioner and replace that as a unit, I only have to buy bearings for one smooth and one ribbed pulley right?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
... I guess if I pull the tensioner and replace that as a unit, I only have to buy bearings for one smooth and one ribbed pulley right?
I do believe that you are correct.

Might as well stick these here too...

3C2Z 6B209 AA / ---------------------------------------------------Belt Tensioner (Single Alternator)*
3C2Z 6B209 BA / ---------------------------------------------------Belt Tensioner (Dual Alternator)*
3C3Z 8620 DB / ----------------------------------------------------F Series Single Alternator Belt
3C3Z 8620 BC / ----------------------------------------------------F Series Dual Alternator Belt
3C3Z 8620 HB / ----------------------------------------------------F Series Aux Alternator Belt
3C3Z 8620 AB / ----------------------------------------------------E Series Single Alternator Belt
3C3Z 8620 BB / ----------------------------------------------------E Series Dual Alternator Belt
3C7Z 8620 AC / ----------------------------------------------------Excursion Alternator Belt
3C3Z 8678 EB/ ---------------------------------------------------- Idler Pulley

...from this:
https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/238358-6-0-parts-list-ford-international.html

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Yeah I was about to post this:

All three:
1) Tensioner: 3C2Z-6B209-AA
2) Grooved Idler Pulley: 3C3Z-8678-EB
3) Smooth Idler Pulley: 7C3Z-8678-B
^^^ ...for a single alt arrangement. The dual alt tensioner has the BA suffix.

I only say it because I think that some of the confusion in past posts is due to lack of clarity between single and dual alt setups.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts