Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Goodyear is buying Cooper Tire!

4K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Kopperhed 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Boy, I sure hope we don't see any quality issues...love my Coopers.

-jokester

#5 ·
Goodyear has been dead to me for a while and I have had OK dealing with Cooper. I completely understand don't throw out the baby with the bathwater but Goodyear made their moves and it alienated many of their largest customers and they did it more than once blatantly. Good idea to see what organizations do that you spend your money on. I know more companies just aren't vocal about it and i'll never know. But do what you can with what you know at the very minimum.

Goodyear started a bad taste in my mouth when they started getting more reject tires on our fleet that we could deal with. One or two hear and there fine. But when you have 6+ trucks with a batch of tires that are out of round and Goodyear starts saying "its how we drive our trucks..." Made the switch to BFG/Cooper and they have been great.

#6 ·
I hear ya loud and clear on that, the problem is that the average consumer cannot afford to take a stand.
By the time most need tires its off to costco/discount/tire rack to pass inspection.

Good for you on holding the line.

#10 ·
I stopped buying Goodyears a few years ago. Their "Assurance" tires were junk. I bought them for my wife's car. The local dealer had a "sale & rebate" from Goodyear. Had a leaking tire through interior desalination. Another one delaminated and it felt like a bad wheel bearing. I thought they were made in America... Made in Chile... I've been buying USA made from Hankook, Falken, Yokohama & Coopers for the F350. As previously stated by others. They're bad tires. Typically, anything that's heavily advertised like Goodyear isn't very good. No need to advertise all the time when you have repeat customers. And whatever happened to our Anti-monopoly rules & regulations ?

Every good startup that threatens Apple, Google, Facebook, etc. is bought out, eliminating competition.... Now, Goodyear buys out Cooper ? Expect the these results. Less competition. Higher prices. Lower quality. Fewer choices. There's a major deck waterproofing product that is heavily advertised... Its not a good product... You pay for the marketing, not the product. Cheap ingredients...

End of rant 😎

#11 ·
Well that’s disappointing. I just switched from being a Goodyear customer to Cooper tires, because I disagreed with Goodyear on some of the things they’ve done over the last four years. It’s especially disappointing because I really like my new Cooper Discover AT3 XLTs I just put on my truck, and I would’ve bought them again. It’s a good thing I don’t drive my truck much, I won’t need to replace these tires for probably 10 years...I’ll need to replace them due to age before I need to replace them due to miles. But it looks like I won’t be purchasing Cooper’s again.

#13 ·
Cooper produces more tire brands than just Cooper. I really hope they just take ownership and leave the business to the folks that have been running the business. Hard to say if they will.... But this reduces the number of American tire manufacturers by 25%, leaving just 3.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

#16 ·
That’s unfortunate news. I rather like cooper tires. I have a set on my 250 that work well. Gave up on wrangler 15ish years ago. Before that they were my go to tire. Couldnt get any decent mileage out of them anymore. Don’t know what they changed, but they changed something.

Reactions: jokester00
#18 ·
I've noticed Cooper tires being advertised heavily in the last week on the tele. It could be because I've been recovering from a surgery and watched more TV in the last week than in all of 2020.

Reactions: jokester00
#23 ·
Well I guess Ill have to switch to something else, been running Mastercrafts for years and the new set that I just got are made in the USA just like they have always been. Goodyear isn't getting a dime from me.

Reactions: jubilee3504
#27 ·
I've heard the Toyota MT's wear fast on HD trucks like ours, so I chose not to get them. I do like the looks of the tire and think it performs well, but I've had friends that have run them on their 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and were only getting 25-35k out of them. I went with the Cooper STT Pro's in 2017 for my F350, and I've got just shy of 30k on them. If they keep wearing at the current rate, I'll get another 20k out of them.

That being said, I don't tow anything (yet - travel trailer supposed to be built in a couple months), so I will report back at the end of this year how that affects the wear.

-jokester

#28 ·
plus 3 on the Toyo! They employ my Pops as well! The tires speak for themselves...

#31 ·
Wow...... as many have stated, I hope they don't **** with Cooper's quality.... ran the Discoverer AT3 on my old truck, they'll make a 2wd truck dig out of a soggy pasture like it was 4wd (with 33' 5er hitched up... done it)..... and have the Discoverer HT3 on my current rig....... glass smooth at 80 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.