Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run these? They're supposed to be a A/T silent armor. I'm guessing that's pretty close to what the factory FX4 tire I took off. I had no idea GY made a AT in that size. Anyone running them? results? I'm debating selling my 35" Procomp Xtreme AT's, (which I love), b/c of MPG loss. Looking to go with something beefier than OEM 275's but not as aggressive and MPG killing as the 35x12.50's. 285's or 305's. Looks like BFG, Toyo and Goodyear make a tire that fits the bill and are E rated. They are all considerably lighter than my 35's, and have almost half the treads... these procomps are pretty much a MT, awsome tire but killed my MPG's. My other option is maybe buy a 2nd set of "econo" wheels and tires for pounding pavement and have my nice 20's with 35's handy in the garage.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the 285/70/17 GY Silent Armor tires and I love them. They are way better in noise and vibration then my BF AT's

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very seriously looking at the 305/60 GY A/T Silent Armors. OEM tire, just BIGGER. My procomps weigh in at 71 LBS each with 20/32" of tread vs the 305 GY's at 63 LBS with 16/32" of tread. I have no complaints about my ProComps other than MPG loss. And at $5/gal I'm looking for every mile while keeping the functions of my truck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got the goodyear wrangler silent armor on my jeep and my dad has them on his sequoia... by far an awesome a/t tire. It has the rim protector thing so when my mom is driving the jeep the rims that I put on dont get all banged up. They handle well in snow and rain but the jeep has little power compared to a f250/350 diesel so its hard to say. They are extremely quiet... almost no hallowing at all... which is a +
And the size for reference is 255/70/16... If I needed another set of a/t tires I would buy these again!! without researching the competition....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to be a modern update to the age old BFG A/T. I was looking at tread designs and can't figure out how the BFG works. it alsmost traps the materail in the tread by design. I'm either keeping my 35" Procomp Xtreme AT's, which rock, or will be doing 305 GYWSA. The only negative is the price!! OMG are they expensive in a 305/60R20E. $350 each tire!! Holy cow chief. Not sure it's economically good to buy that much in tires, try and sell mine, pay to have mounting and balancing etc to save 2mpg's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree totally. The tread design looks great on the GoodYear. I have had them in sand,mud, and snow so far and they have done great.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GY's seem to be more of a self cleaning design which is important.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts