Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has be discussed before - but can not find the threads using the search function. My bad sorry.

I need to get my tranny rebuilt as well as converted from 2wd to 4wd.

Thanks. Daryl

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
John Wood Automotive

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
J V Diesel is a Sam Wise transmission dealer. Jerry is a one man operation and an honest mechanic. 818-754-7235 I do not know of a good rebuilder around here. i have Sam Wise trans.

4 Wheel specialties can probably do the conversion. Ed is a great mechanic. Ed also recommends J V diesel. http://www.4wheelspecialtiesunlimited.com/

·
Registered
569 Posts
John Wood, BTS, and Sam Wyse are the top 3 guys right now. As far as I know all of them ship to California. Certain performance parts can’t be shipped there but there’s no reason a transmission shouldn’t be

I paid around $3600 with shipping and everything for a sam Wyse stage 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
is he in socal ? i never heard of him

Woowee man you have never heard of John Woods fow-reeal??? He and BTS have probably been in the 4r100 game longer than anyone else. Not knocking sam wyse because he has a great set up for many 7.3ls and and a great price too. Just surprised you haven't heard of john woods etc. Its probably because he doesn't do social media like the others though to be fair.

John Wood Automotive - *

this article was from 2010 too.
The Makings Of A Bulletproof Ford 4R100 Transmission - Diesel Power Magazine

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Woowee man you have never heard of John Woods fow-reeal??? He and BTS have probably been in the 4r100 game longer than anyone else. Not knocking sam wyse because he has a great set up for many 7.3ls and and a great price too. Just surprised you haven't heard of john woods etc. Its probably because he doesn't do social media like the others though to be fair.

John Wood Automotive - *

this article was from 2010 too.
The Makings Of A Bulletproof Ford 4R100 Transmission - Diesel Power Magazine
all my trucks have been sticks except my 02 i bought year and half ago. i put a wise stage 2 in it

·
Registered
399 Posts
is he in socal ? i never heard of him
John Woods Automotive is in Holtville, Ca. He's eight miles from the Mexican border. When it comes to the trans in my 7.3 I'd have no one but John touch it. When I first got my truck in 2007 I heard about him. I tried to get him to rebuild my completely functional trans then. He wouldn't do it as there was nothing wrong with it. I regularly pull a 40' toy haulin' 5th wheel with a 66 Bronco in the rear and didn't want it to take a dump somewhere out in the middle of no here (my prior '98 Dodge Cummings powered did just that, so I was warily about this new to me truck. Anyway, fast forward a few years and luckily the torque converter went out (at home) dumping cramp in the complete system. NOW John was willing to rebuild everything. I was able to drive it down there and in one day he had a replacement built and installed. While the trans was out was the best time to replace the rear main seal and also install International Harvester down pipes that are better than the ones Ford used. All that, rebuilt trans and torque converter was just over $4K (if I remember correctly). On a side note, John said that Ford was now getting their planetary drums out of china and he would not use it. Instead he installed a custom built drum that he machines and is rated for 700 horse power. My kinda guy (over kill).
I also had an occasion where the injector harness went out and the truck quit running. As I wasn't too far from John's shop I had it towed there (complete with 5th wheel). On a Sunday evening he opened his shop, diagnosed the problem said that he'd fix it on Monday and I could camp with my 5th wheel inside his fenced in yard, plug into his building and stay the night. There have been one or two other happenings over the years and a call to John's after hours answering machine got me a return call and answer to my problem/question.
I can't enough good things about his knowledge and business practices.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Since you are in Cali John Woods ATW, I'm very lucky that I live in the area that Chris A1Transmission builds killer 4R100's and I'd put his stuff up against John Brian and Sam's transmissions. :wink:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advise. Do to converting from 2wd to 4wd, time, shipping costs and core return fees I believe doing it local may be more cost effective in the long run.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you are in Cali John Woods ATW, I'm very lucky that I live in the area that Chris A1Transmission builds killer 4R100's and I'd put his stuff up against John Brian and Sam's transmissions. :wink:
Thank you for your thoughts - I have a call into John hope to hear back on the Dec 2nd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts