Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I will introduce myself as I believe this is my first post since being a member however I have bee lurking for a while. I am considering buying a 2009 f350 srw crew 4x4 lariat that I test drove today but before I jump onto the 6.4 band wagon I have a few questions. coming from a duramax with efi live and built tranny I am already lookng into mods for the potential truck. And the answers I find here will probably influence me one way or the other about buying the truck. I want the truck done right. I screwed my dmax up big time by going backwards on the performance stuff. Blew my head gaskets.

Anyways. I am wanting to run a Spartan 350 tune, turbo back straight pipe, intake, case 150, and either a small pill of nitrous or maybe just water meth. From my understandings the egg cooler is the cause of most failure with these truck so immediately deleting it is a must. I have been looking at the kit from elite that has the weld in waste gate as well as the downside waste gate. Which is a better option? Do I need a boost controller? Seems it might save me some time under the hood adjusting the wastegate. Now since you have to raise tue cab to do this and I plan on running nitrous. I figure now would be a good time to do headstuds and a firering. The question is do i get the h11 from elite or arp studs? I have mediocre mechanic skills but my buddy is pretty good at mechanicing. Not certified but far more swift at it than I am. Could we tackle these two projects in a weekend? Or should we expect to spend two or three weekends under this beast? Anything else anyone think I should add while under there?

Future hope is rcd tow x turbos but the regular tow turbos r probably more likely due to cost. And possibly some larger injectors and ditch the nitrous. And of course a stage v trans from suncoast.

Sounds like a lot of hassle but these r things I must consider before buying the truck since I am a diesel enthusiast and have been for years.

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
241 Posts
Jshe...good to see another dmax convert. I've been seeing more and more lately...love my 6.4 a million times more than my dmax any day. I'm not much help on the performance stuff since I don't want to get too deep in this one like I did my dmax

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aren't you the one on Duramaxdiesels that had a s475 on a stock motor?

I haven't yet made the swap. I waited around and they ended up selling it. Which was fine since we hadn't set up a deal or signed a contract. I am now looking at a 2008 f-450 with a manual. It has 104k miles the car fax shows tons of service that the original owner had done but i'm scare to get into it with 104k miles on it. THey want 24,000 for it. I am a little on edge about a manual. When i got done driving it in stop and go traffic i could smell the clutch material. I am guessing it was because i wasn't adjusted to it yet. But you could only get to 20 mph in 2nd which killed me!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yup....I bought mine with 103k and love it! Wish I could have found a manual 450 oh well...mine its an auto 350 lariat towboss (4.30s) thats loaded with pretty much every option and I love it especially now that its tuned and deleted

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you have is more of what i am looking for than this! Leather, sunroof, crew cab are a must! You just can't get those options with the leather. Or atleast i haven't found them yet. I have been reading on the 450 that if you hook up to a 6 ton trailer that you have to have a class a cdl! And i can't apply for a cdl with my previous driving record. So I am debating to get it and just test the dot or to pass and wait for a 350 or another 250. How does the power of your 6.4 compare to your old truck. It was an LLY i believe wasn;t it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts