Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,ve read all opinions on what antifreeze to use in the 6.0. Most of you say to get rid of the Ford Gold and go with something with less silicate. I discovered tonite that the Gold creates a goo when mixed with an ethyl based antifreeze. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the Gold is OK by itself. My first project is a coolant filter and non chemical flush. My truck is stock with 165k 2006 f250.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Personally I believe the Ford Gold Coolant is just fine as long as your cooling system is maintained properly. This coolant cannot go 100K miles with no problems. It needs to be flushed out every so often (30K miles). Assuming your cooling system is squeaky clean and you have a coolant filter you should be fine on Gold Coolant, but why not use a CAT EC-1 rated ELC when you can. Lets face it...it doesn't cost that much more and it WILL last the 100K miles with minimal maintenance. It has less silicates in it. Its what they use in the VT365 in the International trucks and you don't hear about those engines having oil cooler issues very much.

Whatever you do DO NOT mix coolants. Like you said they will form a gel like substance in the radiator and just screw everything up beyond belief.

If I were you I would make sure your oil cooler is in good health, do a good complete flush with Restore and Restore+ and Distilled Water and then fill with CAT EC-1 ELC, add a coolant filter and be done with it for 100K+ miles :thumb:

By all means, if you have any questions ask away!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree, mostly. When I bought my truck I was told it was flushed and replaced with elc from the dealer when doing egr delete and oil cooler. After a phone call to the tech, I found out that fleetcharge from oreillys is whats believed to be in there now. I was leary at first about flushing without oil cooler replacement and clogging it up but after much reading I think I have decided to do a non chemical flush. Im replacing with Delo ELC which is said to be one of the top choices on here and runs about $17/gal. Im scared to clog up the fresh cooler

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My deltas are 5-7 degrees so why flush with chemicals and screw up a seemingly good oil cooler. My main concern is I took the truck to the local 6.0 expert for a flush and all he did was drain the radiator and refill with tap water and peak. It appears he mixed two different types of antifreeze. I've got the IPR filter kit ordered to try and clean a possible mess up. After I flush the system I plan on using Cat EC-1 unless I get a better option. The PO had the truck serviced religiously at the Ford dealer so I assume it has Gold in it. Would it be absolutely necessary to do a Restore flush or not?
I know I"ll get answers to these questions and I really appreciate in advance the responses. I have worn out the search button and found a lot of good advice, but you never know when a more definitive answer will appear. Thanks again to all.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,647 Posts
I,ve read all opinions on what antifreeze to use in the 6.0. Most of you say to get rid of the Ford Gold and go with something with less silicate. I discovered tonite that the Gold creates a goo when mixed with an ethyl based antifreeze. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the Gold is OK by itself. My first project is a coolant filter and non chemical flush. My truck is stock with 165k 2006 f250.
You must be watching videos from PowerStrokeHelp.com.

The Gold IS an ethylene glycol based antifreeze.

For some reason BH felt it necessary to say that the Gold is Propylene Glycol (and not change the video) ................ Of course he is completely wrong on that!

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guilty. I was watching powersrtokehelp.com. Thanks for clearing that up bismic and jcm3.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I'm guilty. I was watching powersrtokehelp.com. Thanks for clearing that up bismic and jcm3.
For cryin out lout, if you want your truck to last stay far far away from powerstrokehelp dot com and Billy Bob.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you have a low delta, then by all means DO NOT flush with chemicals.

YOU WILL clog your cooler.

Now, back to flushing technique.....

Start with tap, remove at least the drivers engine plug, flush by removing the lower Rad hose, not pet cork.

Flush the radiator by filling it from top hose inlet and stop up the bottom outlet with your hand then let it rush out, do this about 10 - 15 times.

Do the above for a couple of hours then drain everything and refill with distilled leave out the block plug or plugs and let a gallon or so run out of it, then complete flush with distilled water until clear add ELC 3 Gal 100% 3 Gal Dist. in that order and top off to the new cold level with ELC then go on a 100K mile trip around the U.S. you'll end up using 3.5 gal ELC and about 3 gal dist. and a dark red coolant, not Pink like Kool Aid.

d

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm doing a coolant change today and I went and got the coolant from a truck stop where I live at, I got the Mobile Delvac extended life cat ec-1 and its a black bottle and red coolant, but it says 50/50 prediluted coolant antifreeze. Is this good or is there another one, it didn't say concentrated is there a difference......thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts

Is that a pretty high probability? I've been debating doing this myself. My truck had two oil coolers installed in the last two years by the previous owner, the second along with arp head studs, stock gaskets, and fresh coolant. (BP EGR cooler the first time)

I'm wondering if I should just stay with the Gold for now. Deltas are 0-5, usually.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Ok here's the deal like previously stated stay far far away from Bill Huit and Powerstrokehelp.com if you want your truck to last. If you want to watch videos on someone who knows their chit then I suggest watching the videos from Rusty aka srmastertech on youtube. Here is how he does the coolant flush and I agree 100% on how he does it with 2 exceptions, 1 he recommends using ford gold coolant which I believe he does because I think he is doing training videos of some sorts for ford. (not sure if thats the reason why or not just my opinion) and 2 he doesn't flush with distilled for a while to make sure to get most of the tap water out of the system he just adds it with full strength coolant. Here are the coolant flush videos he has.

Pt. 1

Pt.2

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts

I had flushed my cooling system before with vc-9 and restore before I did my oil cooler rebuild, then I just recently flushed it again with vc-9 and restore to prepare for the head stud and gasket job. I added a coolant filter kit when I did the flush the first time around and even after the second time flushing my delta's are still the same as before with the fresh oil cooler rebuild and coolant flush and fill with vc-9 and restore.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PGreenSVT, that's why I'm here. To learn. I was already suspicious of pstrokehlp. He has several products he's pushing while making sure the bottles are aimed at the camera. I've also watched srmastertech. If I'm not mistaken he recommends running the engine while adding water to degas bottle during flushing process. The crud in the engine is power flushed out the drains. Any comments on that method?

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I think that's a good idea as long as your careful to watch that you don't run it bone dry as well as shut it off and let it refill again and start over. The key is to keep fluid in the cooling system while doing that as to not overheat the engine.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
PGreenSVT, that's why I'm here. To learn. I was already suspicious of pstrokehlp. He has several products he's pushing while making sure the bottles are aimed at the camera. I've also watched srmastertech. If I'm not mistaken he recommends running the engine while adding water to degas bottle during flushing process. The crud in the engine is power flushed out the drains. Any comments on that method?
Those video's are certainly much better than Billy Bob's. I don't necessarily agree with everything he was doing though. To answer your question, yes doing what he says with removing the engine drain plugs and revving the engine will help expel residual contaminants from the block. However I don't know where he was doing this but I don't condone just pulling plugs and draining coolant, chemical cleaners, or flushes, etc. out onto the ground as he appeared to be doing. If he happened to be in a bay with a drain and a recovery system that is fine. I catch and properly dispose of all the coolant, cleaners, and early flushes.

I don't believe he adequately flushed the tap water out of the system either. I recommend flushing 24 gals of distilled water through the system to displace any tap water. This should leave you with 1% or less tap water in the system. Then I add 3.5 gals of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled as needed to bring things to the correct level.

He didn't really mention running the heat on high while doing these cleanings and flushings which I also recommend.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat so to speak, and the way I do it is not necessarily the only acceptable way but it is how I do it when I flush a system out and I have been very successful with it. You can find a writeup of my full procedure in the 6.0 Tech Files section if you're interested.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Mitch I definitely agree with the capturing of old fluids and not dumping them on the ground. The thing about these trucks is you don't have to have the heater on HIGH as the coolant constantly flows through the heater core regardless if its on high or not.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had flushed my cooling system before with vc-9 and restore before I did my oil cooler rebuild, then I just recently flushed it again with vc-9 and restore to prepare for the head stud and gasket job. I added a coolant filter kit when I did the flush the first time around and even after the second time flushing my delta's are still the same as before with the fresh oil cooler rebuild and coolant flush and fill with vc-9 and restore.
That's good to hear. I've been wanting to do mine, but have good deltas, and have been a bit on the fence since I don't want to plug up the oil cooler if I do flush it with Restore and Restore Plus.

Still trying to decide...:dunno:

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Well I had a coolant filter installed after I did the flush the first time and that was about 10,000 miles ago. You should have seen the garbage that thing caught. I'm certain that if that wasn't on there and I would have either a clogged oil cooler now or it would have clogged when I recently flushed it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well I had a coolant filter installed after I did the flush the first time and that was about 10,000 miles ago. You should have seen the garbage that thing caught. I'm certain that if that wasn't on there and I would have either a clogged oil cooler now or it would have clogged when I recently flushed it.
Good call on that one. I just got mine delivered (Diesel Site), so it will be going in soon, if I can find the time. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts