Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a coolant flush and refill yesterday and today I went out and bought a new coolant cap. While I was installing it I noticed that my new coolant was green. Having heard that the slightest mix of the two different coolants causes it to jelly up I am concerned. Should I take it back and tell them to flush it again but with the correct coolant or should I be fine running the green?

1,627 Posts
Do u know if it's cat elc rated? I always heard green is bad...u have to flush it all out n put a ELC rated coolant

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clue I have to wait till they open tomorrow to ask what kind of coolant they used

·
Registered
386 Posts
I flushed mine like 12 times then my diesel mechanic put green in mine but when I put the filter kit on it I only use the Baldwin BW5137 which has the elc anti cavitation stuff in it !! Then every 6 months he tests it for me when I change my filter !!

1,627 Posts
Deleted wrong post

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They did a complete flush so I'm thinking I should be good for a
Couple says till I can find time to take it back in

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
If you have green stuff in it you need to monitor the PH and Additives. You will need to add the additives periodically for the remainder of the time it is in there. failure to do so may result in catastrophic failure.

If you didn't specify that they use a Cat EC-1 rated coolant to replace the old coolant shame on you, but in my opinion however did your work did you a disservice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not trying to be a dick but everyone keeps saying green coolant is horrible but no one tells me why !! Even the red cat coolant that has all the desired chemicals in it arent in there forever so they need to b monitoed and replaced or coolant changed which is the exact same thing I do every 6 months when it is tested and the needed additives added and maintained ! So maybe I am missing something but cat coolant has these things in it and my green doesnt but I add them to it !! So is this still frowned apon if so Y ??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought the truck and am in the process of learning everything I can I got new tires and was suggested a coolant flush gave them the go ahead thinking they knew what they were doing later that night came across the coolant specs and then became worried.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Not trying to be a dick but everyone keeps saying green coolant is horrible but no one tells me why !! Even the red cat coolant that has all the desired chemicals in it arent in there forever so they need to b monitoed and replaced or coolant changed which is the exact same thing I do every 6 months when it is tested and the needed additives added and maintained ! So maybe I am missing something but cat coolant has these things in it and my green doesnt but I add them to it !! So is this still frowned apon if so Y ??
It's not so much that it's frowned upon Jason, it's just 1970's technology. 6 month's isn't frequent enough and it should actually be monitored monthly. If the additives are not maintained at the correct levels cavitation could eat through the cylinder liners resulting in the need of a rebuild and sleeved cylinders. Cat EC-1 rated coolants are good for between 300k and 500k miles between additive supplements. Delo ELC is rated for 8 years or 1m mile with one addition at 600k. So my question to you would be why do you want to put yourself through maintaining inferior old technology at added expense when you could just put stuff in that was developed specifically for the diesel environment, spend less over the useful life span of the product, and have less maintenance to do with your truck? Maybe I'm missing something.

I just bought the truck and am in the process of learning everything I can I got new tires and was suggested a coolant flush gave them the go ahead thinking they knew what they were doing later that night came across the coolant specs and then became worried.
You will find a whole lot more mechanics that don't really know what they are doing with the 6.0 than mechanics that do. It is a sad state of affairs but that is the way it is. Fortunately you have found a site that can provide you with the information you need to maintain your 6.0 reliably. Congrats on your new purchase. Now go buy a monitor so you can see what is going on with that bad boy.

Oh yeah :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thank u very much sir !! I already have a cts and keep quit a watchfull almost ocd eye on my short bus because even though I only have 2 girls and 165 lb puppy and dont really need that much room and very rarely haul anything I LOVE MY TRUCK !! Now that it has been explained to me and I understand the difference I will b switching coolants asap !! What coolant do u recomend ?? And how to flush green out ?? I found its a pain to flush all coolant out especially with my rear heater any instructions would b very much appreciated !!!!! Thanks again for your help !!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad to have found this site too I have been looking at monitors but don't know the best one to get for a decent price

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Thank u very much sir !! I already have a cts and keep quit a watchfull almost ocd eye on my short bus because even though I only have 2 girls and 165 lb puppy and dont really need that much room and very rarely haul anything I LOVE MY TRUCK !! Now that it has been explained to me and I understand the difference I will b switching coolants asap !! What coolant do u recomend ?? And how to flush green out ?? I found its a pain to flush all coolant out especially with my rear heater any instructions would b very much appreciated !!!!! Thanks again for your help !!!!
Jason, I was recommending the monitor to gage. I would flush 30 gallons of distilled water through it and make sure your heaters are on high. I would remove the thermostat to speed the process up. Drain system fill with distilled water. Run the truck for 5 minutes with the thermostat out and the heaters on high. Drain, refill and repeat until you have run 29 1/2 gallons of distilled water through the system. (save that 1/2 gallon of distilled) At this point you will have nothing but distilled water in the system. Drain a final time and then put the thermostat back in and add 3.5 gallons of CONCENTRATED ELC coolant. Add the half gallon of distilled to the half gallon of remaining concentrate and use a 50/50 mix from now on to top off as needed. It will probably take a couple of weeks of fiddling with the coolant level till it works all the air out of the system and stabilizes. Currently the best coolant available for our trucks is Rotella Ultra ELC. It has the most recent formulation and is great stuff. Next best is Delo ELC. After that the rest of the ELC's are pretty much equal. Napa sells Zerex ELC concentrate under part# ZXED1. If it's not on the shelf they can have it in a day. Not sure where to tell you to look for the Rotella Ultra or the Delo other than to look for a Shell distributor for the Rotella or a Chevron distributor for the Delo. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. Somebody will help you out.

I'm glad to have found this site too I have been looking at monitors but don't know the best one to get for a decent price
by far the preferred setup is the Edge Insight CS or CTS with an EGT probe to keep an eye on Exhaust Gas Temps. It is by far the most expandable monitor out there allowing you to add additional sensors for things not provided by Ford like fuel pressure. Prices are pretty much the same for the Edge stuff unless somebody is having a sale. You want to monitor your coolant temp and your oil temp delta. This will tell you if your oil cooler is clogging up which causes all kinds of expensive problems if not caught and dealt with early, like blown head gaskets and cracked heads etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the monitor suggestion ill be getting one soon and sounds like I just need to leave the coolant changes to me from now on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Another one you can look for that most advanced AP's are carrying is the fleet charge elc. Its all we use at the shop. Like others have stated though get the green out. Have one we just finished that had had green in it its whole life. Well, it just ate the oil cooler, and trans cooler. Not a good day for our customer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK everyone is talking about green vs gold and additives for cavitation. on my 7.3 I used to add an additive but now i haven't been able to find it in the auto parts stores. i used the zerex g5. where can i find it or even the gold antifreeze. what are the brand names for the additives.

·
Registered
905 Posts
OK everyone is talking about green vs gold and additives for cavitation. on my 7.3 I used to add an additive but now i haven't been able to find it in the auto parts stores. i used the zerex g5. where can i find it or even the gold antifreeze. what are the brand names for the additives.

I get my coolant from Napa. I was able to get the concentrated zerex ec1 cat rated coolant for 14 bucks a gallon. Not sure if they sell the additives bc I haven't asked. Most of the zerex line here I have to order and pick it up the next day as it comes from their warehouse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts