Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have read the countless threads on it, I have watched whatever videos I can find, I have even read downloadable instructions that come with most manufacturer's delete kits. I open my hood and stare in there visualizing everything I need to do over and over. Believe it or not my wife is even going to help because she's great at organizing as I tear things down. I want to have this done without making 50 trips to the hardware store for tools as I go or running into things I didn't anticipate which is where I turn to you. I am asking for those with experience to give me any advice on things they ran into that they didn't foresee. Not looking for step by step, just advice from the wise ones. Tools I should have, things I likely will run into that I didn;t think of, things that are going to give me grief unexpectedly, etc...

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
It's really not that hard of a job, just time consuming the first time you do it. Just basic tools, nothing special.

Some tips: when you disconnect the fuel lines, put a cable tie about 1" behind nut so it don't slide down the fuel line to a spot you can't reach. If you have a late '04-07, you don't need to remove the turbo. If you have to remove the turbo (03-early 04), soak the turbo bolts with penatrate.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
An 18" or longer extension is really handy for the upper bolts on your new up pipe. A second pair of hands is also really help full.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Take pictures, label everything, and go slow and you'll be fine. These motors are more intimidating than anything. Heck, I replaced a fuel injector in a parking lot a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
It'll be a great confidence builder! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I use a padded scaffold plank with little legs, one end sits on the firewall and the other end sits on the rad support.

·
Registered
118 Posts

A pillow to lay over the hood catch will be a big help.... Shouldn't need any special tools except maybe a set of torx bits

Which Egr delete kit are u using?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
118 Posts
U can do it without removing the intake ull just have to remove passenger side intake bolts and prob loosen the driver side a bit to get the intake up a little to push the cooler out of the intake

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's really not that hard of a job, just time consuming the first time you do it. Just basic tools, nothing special.

Some tips: when you disconnect the fuel lines, put a cable tie about 1" behind nut so it don't slide down the fuel line to a spot you can't reach. If you have a late '04-07, you don't need to remove the turbo. If you have to remove the turbo (03-early 04), soak the turbo bolts with penatrate.

I did the same thing here it's a great idea.... Plus watch for those orings at the fuel lines dont wanna lose them

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

A pillow to lay over the hood catch will be a big help.... Shouldn't need any special tools except maybe a set of torx bits

Which Egr delete kit are u using?

I'm going with XDP for the delete kit. They are local to me and I lso got my exhaust from them as well. I like to help the local guys when it's relative. When I get a remote oil cooler I'll go with Bulletproof, but a delete kit is pretty generic.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My best advice is to get a good serpintine belt removal tool. I find that the hardest part of the job on everyone I ever did.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
My best advice is to get a good serpintine belt removal tool. I find that the hardest part of the job on everyone I ever did.
I just used my hands to pull the belt up then off the alt, its tough but works.

·
Registered
189 Posts
just remove the 4 alternator bolts and roll the alternator forward and remove. then the belt zip tie it without removing it from any other pulleys. reverse this procedure to install

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are you going to put a new oil cooler in while you are in there?

If not the EGR delete alone is pretty easy. You can get to the bolts for the passenger side of the Y pipe with an air ratchet (GREAT TOOL TO HAVE!)...It can help to also take the passenger side wheel well out or just loosen it.. helped me with the angle to the bolt.

The belt isnt that hard to get back on HEMAN style.. just commit and pull HARD.

Something I ended up going to the store for was some contact cleaner.. I got a LOT of sweat into the open plugs that I had disconnected.. LOL

2003 F250 6.0L Superduty Lariott
95000 miles
EGR Delete
Blue spring upgrade
Scanguage II

From Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
^^^This, I made my own but this by far pissed me off the most

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
writeup in my sig :thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Save yourself another tear down, change your oil cooler while your already there. My oil cooler went befor my EGR cooler. just my opinion. And build you a work platform, your going to be all over that truck. I also found it helpful to remove the inner wheel well to get to the up pipe bolts using several extension`s. It`s not a complicated job. It`s just hard to get to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts