Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to look at a 1995 F250 4x4 PSD, EC, LB tommorow. The truck has 301,000 on it, a rebuilt auto trans, a low mileage rearend, new half shaft, and front U-joints. It comes with extra injectors..(another set of stock injectors) It has a few dings..no major dents. Minor rust above the rear wheel wells. It's stock other than a Downpipe and a superchip. This is my first time looking at a powerstroke, and i'm not sure what all to look for other than leaks and turbo shaft play :dunno: If someone can help..I appreciate it.

:thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
go on youtube, search: "how to buy a used powerstroke"

I think there are 4 or 5 parts, pretty good run down in my opinion. I used it and have had no surprises since I bought the truck and found everything that was wrong with it before the purchase as far as I know.

good luck

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
check the turbo fins for damage too, but im sure you know that. ceck the airbox, if it has one. if the box has plastic screws, they were recalls, engine dusting was a problem. if they are metal they have been updated. other than that you should be ok. get that secodn set of injectors upgraded!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the truck today and drove it..still thinking on it. Has way more rust than i expected and the interior needs some major TLC. needs a glovebox lid, a steering column bearing (comes with it) i couldnt find any leaks, the airbox has metal screws, turbo is good..it runs Great it looks rough all glass is good..any more suggestions? for $3,000 is it a bad deal? for a running driving 4x4?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
sounds fair to me. can try and talk him down anyway. couldnt hurt.

if the motor, tranny and suspension are all good, thats the biggie IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I found a lot of useful information at POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics

I take everything with a grain of salt, but I am also a newbie to PSDs, so more experienced folks might have other opinions of that site.
Eh... looking over it, it seems like decent info... but honestly, I don't like anything I have to subscribe to in order to be able to see the content, and I don't like having to sift through videos to obtain the info I need. I'd much rather log onto forums like this and read through a few threads and see what works and what doesn't. And personally, I can scan through a thread and pick out the info I need a helluva lot faster than a video.

·
Registered
274 Posts
With something that old and with that many miles, I hope your mechanically inclined. I think she will nickle and dime you to death.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you might be able to get him lower.
a guy on here gave me a deal on pretty much the same truck as you, but very little rust, and a decent interior. 3500.

on a side note, does the steering column have vertical play?
im curious because mine does and i have no clue what causes it. maybe the bearing you mentioned?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you might be able to get him lower.
a guy on here gave me a deal on pretty much the same truck as you, but very little rust, and a decent interior. 3500.

on a side note, does the steering column have vertical play?
im curious because mine does and i have no clue what causes it. maybe the bearing you mentioned?

Yes it had vertical play, steering wheel liked to bounce, he said it was a bearing in the column..would have been easier to replace the entire column IMO :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts