Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about trading in my 01 F250 with the 7.3 for a 05 with 6.0 was just wondering if anyone out there had done this and if they were happy with there choice. my 01 has 150000 on it and the 05 has 50000 miles.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I cant say from personal experience, but there are so many positive things about the 6.0. The negative are head gaskets and EGR from what I've read. The 6 makes more power easier, its smoother, quieter, and revs higher. Not to mention th 05 has coil sprung front suspension which makes it ride great and there are tons of great lift kits for them. Did I mention how awesome the 05-07 front end looks?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
thinking about trading in my 01 F250 with the 7.3 for a 05 with 6.0 was just wondering if anyone out there had done this and if they were happy with there choice. my 01 has 150000 on it and the 05 has 50000 miles.
is the 01 wore out? If it is at that low mileage you need to look at taking better care of your trucks cause these trucks can last many times that mileage with proper care.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Good luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i would stay with the 7.3 unless your itch is for something newer

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i have been thinking of doing it too

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
yea, it would be nice to have 400+- hp with a exhaust,programmer and some headstuds so nothin comes loose!! never even ridden in a custom tuned 6.0, kinda curious

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is the 01 wore out? If it is at that low mileage you need to look at taking better care of your trucks cause these trucks can last many times that mileage with proper care.
no its not wore out. i just use it to for business and tow my boat boat evey weekend, basically i use as a truck not a show piece even though it looks like one. i make it work. and it hasnt let me down yet ive been pretty happy with it, the only problem ive had with the 01 is fuel injector harness problems but that seems pretty common on the 7.3. i just would the like the piece of mind of less miles on the truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would stay with the 7.3 unless your itch is for something newer
cosmeticly i like my 01 interior better then the 05 but i just would like the piece of mind of less miles i work my truck pretty hard, even though i keep it maintained everything wears out eventually. but if the 7.3 is a better engine whats the point. thats what im trying to figure out.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Well, I don't know anyone that actually swapped. But I have some friends with both the 7.3 and the 6.0. Basically we all agree. If you want a trouble free truck, stick to the 7.3. If you don't mind a little bit of maintenance, the 6.0 puts out great power and is a blast to drive. Each to their own. I have considered it also, but the 7.3 is enough power for me and I love that I don't really have to do more than normal upkeep to it.
-Aaron

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
yea if you dont have any mods on it try a custom chip, you will swear its a new truck. 150k of work miles shouldnt matter if it was maintened, thats not many miles at all on these 7.3"s,

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
cosmeticly i like my 01 interior better then the 05 but i just would like the piece of mind of less miles i work my truck pretty hard, even though i keep it maintained everything wears out eventually. but if the 7.3 is a better engine whats the point. thats what im trying to figure out.
The 7.3 is not as eficient as a 6.0 and both seem to live forever if left pretty much stock. All depends upon what your needs are. 6.0 has incorporated in it upgrades found necessary becuase of shortcommings in the 7.3 just as the 6.4 does in relation to the 6.0. However, in the 6.4's cause most of the changes were due to smog laws and not to fix shortcommings of the 6.0. Common rail was only installed to better volitize the fuel for emission control. The 6.0 is bad enough under the hood but the 6.4 has even more junk which us real world people will soon remove in order to get the mpg back up and make hp. The big reason to upgrade to a 6.0 is not because of the engine but the tranny, the torqshift is a great tranny much better for towing and heavy loads than the old e4od generation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i went the other way around. 90k miles on my 04 f350 everything was starting to go. my 00 f350 7.3 i prefer. in 132k miles only problem it ever had was the transmission. my best friend is the original owner, and signed it over to me.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i went the other way around. 90k miles on my 04 f350 everything was starting to go. my 00 f350 7.3 i prefer. in 132k miles only problem it ever had was the transmission. my best friend is the original owner, and signed it over to me.
chuckle...in these forums i have seen others do the same back and forth. U can get a bad one in any model but the torqshift is a far better tranny than the stock ealier tranny's. The 7.3's lower hp will i think tend to put less strain on stufff and with proper maintenence should run till the mountains wear down into foothills of D hits $20 per gallon at least

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Look at wikipedia on ford diesel engines ,not to bash the 6.0 but it pretty well sums it up.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Look at wikipedia on ford diesel engines ,not to bash the 6.0 but it pretty well sums it up.
Yeah, but that is only one source, do a search on the internet on cummins 5.9 or dmax and you will see they all had the same issues or worse lasting more years. I was surprised cause untill i looked at the fine print i was bound and determined not to buy a Ford again. After looking at the facts it soon became clear that all three had problems but that the psd problems didn't take ten years to solve like the cummins or were never solved like with GM but less than two years. Each has its inherent weak links that show up after tweaking for hp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts