Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Mods, could you please make this a sticky? I think it will be good for everyone to have this information.

It is very important that you take your truck back to stock whenever you:

• download a new tune onto your SCT;
  • take the truck to the dealer;
  • update your firmware;
There are several reasons:

• If the usb cable is loose, or your screensaver kicks in, the box will erase itself and your stock file will be gone.
  • If the dealership reflashes you, your SCT will be locked and you will need to send it back to them to unlock, for a charge.
  • In the case of the new firmware and tune revision updates, changes may have been made to the processes that moved them to another place in the software. The problem arises when the SCT looks for the specific process and the instructions are not there.
Thanks,
Vivian

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
No problem. Thanks for the info:thumb:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Good info Vivian! I have never returned to stock before loading different tunes into the Xcal2, but I will now. Is there any way possible to backup your stock program?

·
Registered
357 Posts
here's a bump to keep it up top.:bump:

·
Registered
433 Posts
It could have saved me some time, but mine's all fixed now. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Hey Rodney, did James tap into your puter when you called him? I was under the impression he wanted an email with our info and was going to send us back the stock file through email after correcting it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yea, he took control and got the stock file from my Livewire. He fixed it and put it back on. You'll just neet the Livewire serial #, but you can retrieve while your with him, and your vin number.

I recommend you call because he has a back log of emails. I was blown away because I actually got right through to him. It only took a few minutes. Just have your Livewire hooked to the computer and that info, and you"ll be fixed in no time.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Matt,

Yes. You can save your stock file. I will type up the instructions and ask that you save it as a sticky, if that is ok. That way the subject line would reflect: SCT Instructions: How to Save Your Stock File.

Although DJ feels more comfortable going back to stock before changing files, SCT says it is not necessary. You don't need to go back to stock everytime you are going to change a file. But anytime you are going to connect your programmer to the computer or take your truck to the dealership ....... you must take your truck back to stock.

Hi Terry, James wanted all the information so he could prepare what he needed to set you up remotely. It's kind of early now but I will call you in a little while to see how you are doing.

Thanks,
Vivian

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a 03 f 250 with the sct chip and i have to take it to the dealer to get engine worked on i was told to take the chip off and unhook batters and let the power drain out so they can not tell will this work or any outher better way so i do not have to pay thanks .

·
Registered
491 Posts
take the - terminal off for about 5 min. acually only needs about 45sec but just to be safe but you need to drive it for a couple of days it sets a code after the program (no CEL) something about the computer needin to relearn if the dealer sees that code they'll now somethings up and allows time for the monitors in the ecm to run another tell tale sign if they see none have run and passed

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think we got a little off topic here. Originally, the topic's main issue was to inform users of the Livewire or new SCT Xcal3 to return the truck back to it's original tune status before any software or firmware was updated with the Liveupdater program. If you don't return the truck to your stock tune, the update process moves some parameters in the stock tune software. When you go to use the device again, it no longer will recognize your truck and will not reflash the truck with any more tunes. Your stock tune will also be stuck in the device. You will then have to contact SCT and have them connect to your PC with the device hooked up, pull your serial # and strategy and wipe your SCT clean of all tunes. Then they reinstall your stock tune and you have to re-aquire your tunes from your SCT dealer. This is what happened to a few of us. Vivian was nice enough to recognize this problem and posted it to save people a lot of time and frustration by warning us to return the truck back to stock before any of the items she noted are performed. In addition to returning it to stock to keep these things from happening, it may also have other benefits that you guys have mentioned.:sly:

·
Registered
738 Posts
quick question...When yall talk about sct only takes so many flashes then it has to be sent to sct to be unlocked what do ya mean???times hooked to truck and changed..or hooked to different trucks..I have a freind who wants to try my x3 in his dads truck on the factory sattings..:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You should be able to "flash" the original vehicle it was intended for indefinately. "Flash" referring to retuning your vehicle. Now to get it to work on a different vehicle ( if I understand this right) requires an unlock from SCT EACH time it is switched to a different vehicle. With a total of 5 unlocks. If it's set up for your truck now, you have 4 left. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats how it is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not necessary to return your vehicle back to stock if you're just updating the Tune Version.

As far as the limit on flashes goes, you pretty much got it. The tuner locks to the VIN and can't be used to tune another vehicle until the original vehicle is returned to stock, which unlocks the device. You can only change vehicles 5 times before the unit is permanently locked and has to be sent to SCT to be unlocked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
iam just looking for some help.iam wanting to buy an sct livewire for my 07 6.0 but i want to know do yall like like them and does it help with your towing any.i had an 03 6.o with sniper tuning and a banks six gun,i might add that i was not happy with the banks,just want to know how yall like the sct.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think we got a little off topic here. Originally, the topic's main issue was to inform users of the Livewire or new SCT Xcal3 to return the truck back to it's original tune status before any software or firmware was updated with the Liveupdater program. If you don't return the truck to your stock tune, the update process moves some parameters in the stock tune software. When you go to use the device again, it no longer will recognize your truck and will not reflash the truck with any more tunes. Your stock tune will also be stuck in the device. You will then have to contact SCT and have them connect to your PC with the device hooked up, pull your serial # and strategy and wipe your SCT clean of all tunes. Then they reinstall your stock tune and you have to re-aquire your tunes from your SCT dealer. This is what happened to a few of us. Vivian was nice enough to recognize this problem and posted it to save people a lot of time and frustration by warning us to return the truck back to stock before any of the items she noted are performed. In addition to returning it to stock to keep these things from happening, it may also have other benefits that you guys have mentioned.:sly:

This is good knowledge to have!! I just ordered my x3 and dont want to problemos:thumb:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not necessary to return your vehicle back to stock if you're just updating the Tune Version.

As far as the limit on flashes goes, you pretty much got it. The tuner locks to the VIN and can't be used to tune another vehicle until the original vehicle is returned to stock, which unlocks the device. You can only change vehicles 5 times before the unit is permanently locked and has to be sent to SCT to be unlocked.
But can you load and unload your own vehicle as many times as you want??:dunno:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts