Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I fired ol' girl up and things seemed fine, only thing out of the ordinary was that it took about twice as long cranking before it lit off (about 3 seconds instead of 1 - 1 1/2 seconds), no stumble, no rough idle. I headed back inside to grab a few things while it warmed up briefly. Came back out to put the stuff in and at first thought I saw condensation pouring from the A/C, nope that's oil. Shut it down immediately and started looking around underneath. River was down both sides of the bell housing but more so on the passenger side presumably from a slight lean of the road toward the curb. Back of both heads looked fine so I went topside to check the valley. Turbo was good and dry as was what I could see of the drain tube. Twisting and contorting to see under/around/behind/through the turbo I noticed the HPOP cover freshly wet do while focusing on it I had the wife crank it up and witnessed full arterial flow. What do you guys think my chances are that it's just the cover or sensor no longer sealing?

It has been about 4 years and 45k miles since I pulled the heads and this is the first complication so I find it hard to believe it is something to do with reassembly

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
My STC fitting On the HPOP popped off so hard it cracked the rear housing cover And was leaking oil. The prior owner changed the STC fitting but never fixed the cracked cover.

I can only recommend popping the cover and checking to see if you have the STC update or not And seeing if you can spot a crack. I have a 2005, if you don’t yours may be different. To do the rear cover, the transmission came out of the truck. I don’t think yours is that extreme, that is only what happened to mine. Hopefully yours is just a seal.

Would have been nice to see what the ICP, IPR and FICM volts were KOEO, cranking and KOER, but if its gushing that much oil, may not be wise.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
STC has been done, I may check the voltages by doing screen record on Torque PRO so that I'm not trying to write stuff down/remember numbers while trying to shut it down quick enough or may wait until I get some gaskets ordered and check during the "bloody" transition from the curb to the driveway since my neighborhood has a strict policy about vehicle maintenance/repair being done on the street

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
The IPC sensor may have sprung a leak or the test port plug may have backed out
can't think of anything else that would leak on the HPOP cover

You could move the degas bottle and air intake, may be that would let you see in there better

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the best picture but can kinda a the top of the HPOP

·
Registered
586 Posts
Double check the turbo feed and return.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,000 Posts
If you have an STC fitting, then your ICP sensor is not near the HPOP.

I agree w/ above on double checking the turbo oil lines....also double check the HPOP cover plugs as suggested above. You still may have a leak from the rear cover (it could have cracked from a previous STC failure OR it could have been poorly sealed at the HPOP cover "corner").

In all the threads on leaks, in the end it was on the vehicle owner to do the investigating since he is the only one with "visual access" to the truck.

You just have to clean things up to the point that you can then re-start it and watch for the leak.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whew, it's the plug, or at least looks to be. Apologies for the ICP sensor confusion, meant the IPR. Wiggled a stick mirror down in there and used a flashlight then cranked it using the quick disconnect starter lead on the passenger side to the bolt on the terminal. Trying to get the video loaded that I filmed with a potato

Reactions: Hydro and BTL

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yea, I'd say that o-ring is dickered

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Glad you found the problem, guessing the plug was loose?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the Allen socket on an extension and it twisted right out with finger pressure

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I presume that would be the "high pressure oil pump cover plug" on the torque specs. Requiring 26lb/ft

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Yeah, that is a test port for the high pressure oil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts