Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before anyone has a chance to post this...I know there are better gauges out there...and I know they are about twice as much. At this time I have to go with what I can afford and not what I'd like.

Most people come onto forums with problems...not many people get on to tell about their good luck with products. Now I've read a few posts about problems with the glowshift gauges so I know they can fail. As can all things.

I'd like to hear who all has them and had no problems...wanting to see if its actually possible.

If yours failed...tell me after how long? Seems like it happens right after the warranty runs out :banghead:

What I'm not looking for is "they are crap save your money and get the others" I'm fixing to have the tranny rebuilt so all future extra income is paying that off.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've got a couple of Glow Shift gauges and they've been great. I've had them for about a year. The only thing I don't like about them is that they have to be illuminated to read them, even in daylight. Also, on my gauges, one or two of the colors is off a bit from the other one so the lighting doesn't quite match.

I like the preset alert features they have. Don't know if the other gauges have that or not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the 3 gauge set that they sell? The 7 color ones?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I'm looking to hear / see! I'd love a set of ISSOPRO gauges but man at the rate I'm shelling out money the extra 200 is going towards a larger tranny cooler and possibly an external filter kit.

The new Max Tow series looks awesome but for that cost I'd go with a different brand.

Thanks again for the responses so far.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Did you get the 3 gauge set that they sell? The 7 color ones?

I just bought two individual gauges - fuel pres. and voltage(battery). Yes, they are the 7 color units.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i run the three in one diesel and have yet to have a problem about 3 months

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have the common three gauges (boost (35 psi) trans temp and 1500° egt) that I installed last spring. I had no problems until a few weeks ago when my gauges would not shut off and the electronic ones would keep running their start-up sweep. I unplugged the EGT gauge and everything returned to normal. I then emailed glowshift (thinking this would be an ordeal) and explained the situation to them. Much to my surprise, they got back to me the next day to further inquire about what was going on. They asked me to do one test, supply power to the constant power wire and a ground to see if the gauge would turn on which it did and shouldn't. I then was told to send the gauge back to them. This part of their policy I don't like but it was written before I bought them but if it is longer than 30 days, you have to cover shipping back to glowshift even if the gauge is found to be defective. It wasn't much, under 5 bucks, and they replaced the gauge and had it back to me in 2 days. They didnt run circles or dodge questions so I feel it was very good customer service. Remember, these gauges are made overseas so quality control isn't the best. It is a price to pay for a more affordable gauge. All in all, for what I do with my truck, they work great. If I was pushing my truck to the limits of my build, I would opt for a more reputable gauge, but if you just want to keep an eye on things I say go for it.

Oh, I have the black series 7 gauges. I have heard the tinted ones suck to see and I wouldn't spend the money on the elite 10's. They don't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have the glowshift 3in1 for a little over a year, no problems yet. i dont expect them to last forever though. the only complaint i have is the digital pyro is near impossible to read during the day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! Glad to hear they took care of ya! Seen a couple nightmare posts on here, but that's why I said most people don't post when things work great...only when something goes wrong.

Can I ask a question to you all who installed them yourselves? When doing the egt probe...looks like you drill into the manifold...right? What do you do about the shavings? Is this a concern? Oh one more...any worries on stripping it out when tapping it in?

Sorry I've seen a few posts but the search function on this mobile app blows!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear they took care of ya! Seen a couple nightmare posts on here, but that's why I said most people don't post when things work great...only when something goes wrong.

Can I ask a question to you all who installed them yourselves? When doing the egt probe...looks like you drill into the manifold...right? What do you do about the shavings? Is this a concern? Oh one more...any worries on stripping it out when tapping it in?

Sorry I've seen a few posts but the search function on this mobile app blows!

i put mine in the bottom of the pipe drivers side right behind the manifold. i figured the couple shavings that might happen to defy the laws of gravity really wouldnt hurt anything. i havent had any trouble yet:please::laugh: and i dont know about the tapping, i just used the chinsy strap thing they sell, so far it is still hanging in there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fun times!!! Trying to figure out if I order today if ill get them in before the truck hits the shop?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't know when you will get them. Seemed like I got mine pretty quick but was still a week.

To install the egt probe, drill the manifold, if you want use a shop vac and suck some of the chips out but they won't hurt anything. They will be gone before the turbo starts to spin much. Then, I used a pipe tap to thread the hole. Becareful not to go too deep! You need to thread a little and check for fitment. You want around half the egt probe to thread in before getting tight.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the heads up. I'm always a bit paranoid that something I'm doing is going to make problems worse. The shavings were my main concern.

Now to try and leave work early so I can go home and spend some of my wife's money!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Make sure you wire in a 12v regulator on the switched power feed. I did a write up on this, the gauges don't react well to the voltage fluctuations due to the glow plugs. The regulator takes care of this and seems to fix any gauge malfunctions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts