Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the glow plugs today- sure enough, one gives me a hard time. I sprayed the heck out of it with WD-40. Put the vice grips on it had it moving- vice grips slip off plug falls into the engine. I have a buddy with a small camera and magnet going to attempt to get it out- has had luck with it before. Anbody else got some ideas before the head gets pulled?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Vise grips fell into the engine?

·
Registered
241 Posts
what fell into the engine..a piece of the gp? were they swollen because they were off-brand? mine came out pretty easy, just got it loose and used a piece of tubing to slip over the end of the gp to turn..no wd40 or vice-grips needed.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Are there glow plugs that are better then OEM?

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Are there glow plugs that are better then OEM?
Best bet is Motorcraft GPs made by Beru. Shop ebay for a deal. Avoid Autolites, etc. due to swelling issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Best bet is Motorcraft GPs made by Beru. Shop ebay for a deal. Avoid Autolites, etc. due to swelling issues.
:thumb: i agree on that. motocraft gp's are what i just installed as well

as far as your gp that broke off? I would remove injector and the injector cup, before I would remove the head. I believe that you have to have a special tool to install new injector cups not sure on that though. I just did injector orings on mine and you can get them at Napa, package to do 2 injectors for $10.00 ( dorman brand ) good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to add this piece of info- these glow plugs are motorcraft (beru). The new ones to put back in are motorcraft. Didn't get a chance to work on it today. Will keep updating.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
the GP are cheeper at international....... if you havent bought them yet

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update- pulled glow plug out with magnet through injector hole. Got truck running tonight.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Good to hear you didn't need to pull the head off. :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on getting it out. I tried for over a week, off and on, and couldn't do it. My passenger side head is currently off :( but going back on this weekend. These shorter days are sure cutting into the outdoors wrenching time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Talk about dodgin a bullet:eek:hnoes: good you got it out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts