Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 6.0 f250.
a few months back i posted in the 911 form about the truck not starting at 70 degrees. turns out it was the battaries

but now she wont start unless shes pluged in the block heater even if its 60 degrees out. it seems wierd all the glow plugs would go at once, but maybe they all went slowly and i didnt notice. estimates on the changin the plugs were over a grand.

any help would be great. its hell to get to the valve covers. checked fuses. so far i only have a little bit of the clutter removed to get to the passanger side valve cover. if you think it could be something else stop me before i continue to dissasemble everything haha.

:usa:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
The glow plugs have a combination relay amd control module mounted on the passenger side valve cover near the front of the engine. It has 2 plugins one black and one green. This is more than likely your problem. Also there are fuzes and relay in the engine compartment fuzebox if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i had that unit out, cleaned and put back in. still wont start. guess i should test if the plugs are getting any juice thru the bus wire. (any suggestions on getting it off without that ford special tool )?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
umm attempting to start these trucks with poor batteries is very hard on the FICM. causes a very high rate of FICM failure over a fairly short time period, say 3-6 months tops. the glow plug system has caused so few problems on the whole 6.0 line that it is one of the last places I would look. a weak FICM frequently does do better when the truck is plugged in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the FICM just die suddenly or slowly. thought about it a month ago when i put the new bats in. i know i can test it, just dont feel like going thru the effort to get to it. :sad:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
i think they can go fast or slow..... all depending on how you were holding your tongue:) good news is that they can be fixed at home if you are good with a soldiering iron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts