Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my first post here. Also pretty new to desiels, bought my 7.3 about two years ago.

I replaced the fuel filter and I guess the bowl did not like the way I placed the beveled gasket because when I went to prime it, I got a serious leak that splashed or shot up. I didn't actually see it, but was there was quite a bit of deisel in the area. I fixed the gasket placement, no more leak, so I'm good there.

But the deisel around the fuel bowl area was a problem! The glow plug relay smoked. Didn't smell like anything, but I thought it would catch fire. So took it out, careful to note where wires came from, spray foamed the area, also careful to cover some electronics, cleaned the replay and put back together. Still smokes at ignition and after starting.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Replace relay? Let'er go and see if smoke stops? I've haven't ran it more than a minute because it feels like a fire hazard, but then again, I'm learning that deisel isn't flammable.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
For what a new one costs (look at the Western Plow replacement), plus the benefit you get from having a new one working longer into the future, and the very real possibility it might catch-fire under the hood, I'd get a New one! :D

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
If the spray foam wasn't a de-greaser it wouldn't remove all the diesel so it could be residue. I only got an OEM glow plug relay because I have an early 1999 CA set up (right before the glow plug module) but not just the relay. I had about 5 extra wires and a stupid shunt flat metal (looks like bubble gum wrapper but cost $50 for new one). I ended up not wanting to mess with the mods to fit the aftermarket one and my oem one lasted 19 yrs before it gave me any trouble.

Just a thought. I have used a $1 spray bottle with simple green for 10+ yrs. no adverse affects on wires/hoses/paint so far. I gently (key is gently) rinse off the engine bay with a garden hose, then spray and let it soak for 30+ minutes. I do that about once a year after winter and my engine bay would be clean enough to eat off. I also have my ccv re-routed to the atmosphere too though so far less oil mist in the boots/plenum etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Justin. I just looked at my can (Gunk Foam) and it does not appear to have degreasing capability -_-

I like simple green, so will try that going forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts