Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, bought a new set of glow plugs in a rush for the 96 - 7.3 from a "knowledgeable" distributor and long story short, installed 8 BOSCH PLUGS in my powerstroke as well as new gaskets and relay. Turned it over once and once running the relay was clicking on and off every 2 seconds. I already have the BERU-MOTOCRAFT PLUGS on the way but is that most likely the reason for the relay to go nuts? I only replaced one of 4 new plug harnesses as it was melted on the plug face but the other 3 look newer. Basically, does it sound like the **** plugs or a grounding/wiring issue to you guys? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Glow plugs are on and off for a few minutes after a cold start -- the PCM uses the temp sensors on the engine to determine how long to run the glow plugs -- maybe monitor the action of the relay and see if it stops in a couple of minutes -- some add a light to the output of the relay, so they can watch the action

Not sure on a '96 if ForScan will monitor the temp sensors -- @White95f250 do you know?

Reactions: White95f250

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Glow plugs are on and off for a few minutes after a cold start -- the PCM uses the temp sensors on the engine to determine how long to run the glow plugs -- maybe monitor the action of the relay and see if it stops in a couple of minutes -- some add a light to the output of the relay, so they can watch the action

Not sure on a '96 if ForScan will monitor the temp sensors -- @White95f250 do you know?
I think it should. Car Gauge Pro app on my Android phone shows them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts