Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 04, 6.0 Superduty back from the shop after having the HPOP replaced and I noticed when I turned the key to start the truck that the cycle time for the glow plugs was much shorter than before. (about one second) This concerned me but the truck started ok and ran great so I took the truck home. The shop was closed so there was nothing I could do anyway. I drove the truck that weekend and it continued to do the same thing but still stated fine. After that the truck sat for about four days and then started hard. It turned over for about 9 seconds before it fired. I’m taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see if there is anything that the mechanic could have done to cause this problem. My question is! Does anyone know if there is anything that you know of, that the mechanic could have done to make the glow plug do this? They were working fine before I took it in.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The glow plug control module is on the passenger side valve cover. It has a black and a green connector. Push those in and make sure they are pushed in all the way.

1,023 Posts
if it is a legit gp issue the gp light would stay on and i know in 06s and 07s so will the check engine light.

im thinking you had a high pressure oil leak if it took 9 seconds and they whipped a hpop in it.

Things to ask them
1. Did you perform an air leak test?
if they hesitate and say yes=they didnt.
2. Did you inspect the dummy plugs and stand pipes?
3. What were the codes you pulled?

and my question to you is, what caused you to have the hpop replaced? No start? and does it have the ICP on the pass side valve cover?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I did check the plugs on the control module and they seemed tight. It’s a late build 04 so the ICP is in the valve cover. The original problem was a no start. The truck is back at the shop now. I just want to be educated just incase they try to blow smoke up my :moon: This also could be just a coincident. If that the case I don't want to make any unfound accusation.

Here is whets been done to the truck. I had a problem with injectors going bad one at a time. After the third injector went down I decided to replace all the rest of the injectors. It was suggested on this forum that I may have some other underlying problems that may be causing the injector to fall off one at a time, so at the same time that I replaced the injectors; I also replace the stand pipes, IPR valve and installed the blue spring in the fuel regulator. When I was finished, the truck ran great but after I put about 250 miles on it I started it but it only ran for about one minute and then died. It sounded just like it ran out of fuel. At this point the most likely problem had to be the HPOP. I didn’t have time to fix the HPOP and besides I hate pulling the turbo on this beast. I did it once before when I did the EGR delete and I wasn’t looking forward to doing it again so I took it to the local diesel shop. They did the leak down test and it was confirmed that the problem was HPOP related. It was in there parking lot after they fixed it that I notice that the wait to start light wasn’t stay on very long. Sorry for the long explanation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a call from the repair shop and they said that they accidently revised the plugs between the oil and temp sensors on my Quadzilla Commander control module. Don’t know how that would affect the wait to start light but there was no charge for the fix. All is good. Thanks for you input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts