Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think my glow plugs are coming on for the first start of the day when nights are 75*. I know this is not right but why is that happening?

I start the truck and the voltage stays low for about 30-45 seconds and then clicks up to ~14v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Sounds normal to me. I've had a hard first start above 80F with a bad GPR before. Cheers!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn’t hard start, I just thought they weren’t typically used until 40*. I also don’t what to wear them out prematurely if it is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
They are always used when you start a PSD. Guys that are concerned about wearing them out usually put them on a manual switch to activate the relay instead of having the PCM do it. Personally, I never worry about it. I've replaced the ones in my old 94 once in 250k and once in the 97 in 205k. Also when I did replace them was just because I was under the valvecovers anyway, not necessarily because they were bad. I've seen more relay problems than GP problems (OEM Motorcraft/Beru plugs). Just my opinion though. Cheers!

·
Registered
297 Posts
He is correct, the 7.3 does need the glow plugs to start even when its 80 degrees outside. I've had a couple of bad glow plugs and even in the Texas summer the truck will start and idle like it has a cam for a couple of seconds untill the dead glow plug cylinder gets some heat in it to ignite the diesel fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts