Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1990 F350 7.3L dump truck up at our work. Its got the banks turbo kit on it that was installed when we bought it. Othere then that i think its all stock. My question is about the clicking i hear when i turn the key. When its been sitting over night plugged in or for a long time during the day plugged in and i turn the key the wait to start light comes on for 2 seconds and goes off. But i still hear a clicking noise. It clicks for about a min and then stops and if i turn it off and turn it back on it will do it all over again. Are these the glow plugs? and even if i run it through 3 or 4 times it still takes a long time to start. Have to use ether if we have to get out and start plowing because we dont have time to wait on it. So my question is...whats the clicking and is it suppose to do that? cause i think its the glow plugs turning off and on. Shouldnt they stay on not click on and off like that?

Thanks
-Steve

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
How long are the intervals of the clicks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 2 seconds in between each one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you need new glow plugs. The clicking noise on my '93 is the controller for the plugs. Buy Beru (Motorcraft) glow plugs if you replace them. They are about $11 each at the parts store near me, or ebay sometimes has a deal on 'em. Just make sure you get the right ones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I checked my truck yesterday, no starting problems though.. It clicks (the controller) but I think this is normal, my truck has always done it. Have your GP's ever been changed?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I had a new GPR go bad on me, and it clicked just like you are describing. it also melted shortly after

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking the glow plug relay is bad. If i watch the batter metter while its going through the cycle it goes really low when it clicks then back to the spot it was in before the click. Everytime it clicks it pulls from the battery....does this make sense? Im thinking its the relay. The plugs were replaced last year...

-Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
IT BEING A '90 model, is the relay on the fender? If so I would turn the key on, hop out and see if that's what you hear. The later models (mine is a 93), the relay is right behind the air filter housing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a 90 and the relay is right behind the fuel filter...witch i think has been relocated since it has the banks turbo kit. i can get some pics of its location.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay so the clicking is normal...now is it suppose to draw power like that? if you let it cycle till clicking stops the battery gauge clicks back everytime the relay clicks and then goes back to were it normally is before start up. it does this everytime it clicks. shouldnt it be drawing power the whole time there on not clicking on and off. I know my 97 pulls power the whole time the glow plugs are on cause i can watch the battery gauge click back to normal after i wait to start. ...hope this makes sense

Thanks guys
-Steve

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
okay so the clicking is normal...now is it suppose to draw power like that? if you let it cycle till clicking stops the battery gauge clicks back everytime the relay clicks and then goes back to were it normally is before start up. it does this everytime it clicks. shouldnt it be drawing power the whole time there on not clicking on and off. I know my 97 pulls power the whole time the glow plugs are on cause i can watch the battery gauge click back to normal after i wait to start. ...hope this makes sense

Thanks guys
-Steve
Glow plugs draw a TON of amps, so yes its normal for the gauge to do that. How long is the first draw? I mean if its 20* outside, and you turn the key to cycle the glow plugs and it automatically starts clicking at 1-3 second intervals, its not working properly. But if the initial one is like 7+ seconds long depending on the cold, and it does the short ones afterwards, then its normal. They are called afterglows, and it is to keep the fuel igniting in the cold combustion chamber on cold starts. Helps more and more as the temps get lower.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well then thats my problem. Once i turn the key the wait to start light comes on for a second goes off and it starts clicking. does do a long one at first. The truck wont start in the cold. I would say 25 or lower. Its a plow truck so i need to get this thing fixed lol.

Thanks for the help guys
-Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts