Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 f350 6.0 xlt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just recently replaced all of my glow plugs and both harnesses. Last night I started getting a glow plug 6 circuit code and hard cold starts so I dug in and found this!
Hand Tap Plumbing fixture Household hardware Fluid

The glow plug has been pushed apart, do you think this is just a crappy glow plug that was already set to fail? Because 3 and 5 we're the reason I originally replaced my glow plugs, this was number 6. I replaced this one with one of my old plugs that ohmd out the best and everything seems ok for the moment

·
Registered
2004.5 f350 6.0 xlt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long ago did you change the glow plugs?
Are those OEM (Motorcraft) or local store?

On a side note that is the first I have seen separated like that, usually burnt ends or swelling.
I'm not sure my dad is the one who purchased them.
I've never seen a separated glow plug either.
Maybe it was just a piece of poop defective

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
There's no way I'd put in a set of glow plugs without knowing where they came from. One issue, and that glow plug can take out a hole quickly.

If it were me, I'd confirm those are OEM or I'd be getting more practice at changing glow plugs again. ESPECIALLY since one just did that!!!

JMNPO - (just my non-professional opinion)

-jokester

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Well, ...ain't never seen that before -- looks like someone forgot to braze the tip to the body
The question is -- are the others the same or was this one just missed?
Really not much of a problem -- the glow plug part can blow out, but the body will still be threaded in the hole -- so only the inconvenience of having to replace along the road

·
Premium Member
10,802 Posts
Personally replace them all with motorcraft OEM if you are unsure of the brands. I have PERSONALLY seen autolite and other brands do the following:

-strip out and then you have to remove the heads or use a hard/pita special tool to extract it
-melt the tip off and bounce around the cylinder
-fail sooner than later anyways leading to a job being done twice... No one likes buying their buddies the amount of beer to say "hey, remember when... can you help me again" lol

·
Registered
2004.5 f350 6.0 xlt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, ...ain't never seen that before -- looks like someone forgot to braze the tip to the body
The question is -- are the others the same or was this one just missed?
Really not much of a problem -- the glow plug part can blow out, but the body will still be threaded in the hole -- so only the inconvenience of having to replace along the road
This is the only plug of the new ones that has given me any issue so far

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
It's hard to get good help these days.

If it's a BERU plug, it will say so on the body. Germany or Ireland. Another division of my old company - I can't get away from them......

Wood Tool Gun accessory Musical instrument Art

BTW, you can buy a nice set of used glow plugs on eBay for like $20-25. 🤣

Reactions: MtnTallPaul

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Just as a side project / note
Glow plugs make a pretty good soldering iron with a couple of mods
Shove a piece of copper tubing over the end for the tip -- and make a wooden handle to hold the body, with a push button to control the heat
I have used this setup out in the field several times -- dont have to be pretty to get the job done

1 - 9 of 9 Posts