Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the site and the world of the 6.0. Currently driving a 2005 F-150 (that is sold come the first of October) and plan on stepping up to a F-250 when the current truck is gone.

I have done some reading here as well as the other forums, Youtube, etc. and I just want to make sure I have my bases covered.

1. I have two trucks I am looking at. First truck is a 2006 with 32k miles. Second truck is a 2006 with 41k miles. Both are FX4, Lariat and seem to have been taken care of. Truck 1 has a goose neck hitch in the bed, truck 2 has never been pulled with (or so they say).

2. I plan on taking some form of monitoring when I go to test drive (SGII, EDGE CTS) to check EOT/ECT as well as everything else. Being as they are both stock (EGR coolers still intact) I should be looking for the 15* delta correct?

3. Both trucks are in AL. One is in Vally, the other in Athens. Any suggestions for shops in the areas who could look the trucks over, and what should I expect to pay for this?

Whichever truck I end up with, I plan on keeping for a while. Still gathering info on the basics that need to be performed when I get home, but I want to make sure I won't have any issues pop up on the way home to GA.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like your doing the right things, good luck with the purchase and welcome to the world of the 6.0.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, found the SGII on Amazon for $159. May just go ahead and pick one up. Was I correct with my assumption on the 15* delta with a completely stock truck? Also, how long of a test drive do I need to take before I start watching numbers?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have to buy a SGII myself and I saw that autozone has them on sale for I believe $138.00. Look on aotozone online to check their prices and availability.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, found the SGII on Amazon for $159. May just go ahead and pick one up. Was I correct with my assumption on the 15* delta with a completely stock truck? Also, how long of a test drive do I need to take before I start watching numbers?

Thanks again!
The ScanGaugeII is a great investment. As far as the temp delta goes... Once the engine is completely warmed up, drive it on level ground, at 65mph, for a good 20 minutes. If it exceeds 15 degrees it's out of spec. But, and my local Ford tech explained this to me earlier this week, if you see a 10 degree delta under the test conditions, it's headed south and will soon need replaced (oil cooler).

My personal experience with this situation is this; I bought my 06, F250 late this spring. It had 70,000 miles on it and ran great! The first thing I bought for the truck was a ScanGaugeII. Once I had it in and had the xgauges programed in I wanted, I tested it for the EOT vs ECT delta spread. At that time my delta reading was 12 degrees, which is high, but not out of the Ford specification. So, I kept an eye on it. I decided a week ago to test it again. During this test I was seeing a consistent delta temp spread of 18-20 degrees. :doh:

So, I took it to Ford, since it's under warranty. As we speak it's getting the oil and egr coolers replaced. If I hadn't done some research on this board and a few others, and if I had not bought the ScanGaugeII, I would not have known this was happening. The truck ran and towed like a champ!

So, enable yourself to keep an eye on your temps, keep the coolant and oil clean, and you should be good. Tho changing coolers when needed really needs to be viewed as maintenance on the 6.0 IMO.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You have to program the Xguage code in the SGII for it to read the EOT. There's a thread here with a bunch of the codes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ScanGaugeII is a great investment. As far as the temp delta goes... Once the engine is completely warmed up, drive it on level ground, at 65mph, for a good 20 minutes. If it exceeds 15 degrees it's out of spec. But, and my local Ford tech explained this to me earlier this week, if you see a 10 degree delta under the test conditions, it's headed south and will soon need replaced (oil cooler).

My personal experience with this situation is this; I bought my 06, F250 late this spring. It had 70,000 miles on it and ran great! The first thing I bought for the truck was a ScanGaugeII. Once I had it in and had the xgauges programed in I wanted, I tested it for the EOT vs ECT delta spread. At that time my delta reading was 12 degrees, which is high, but not out of the Ford specification. So, I kept an eye on it. I decided a week ago to test it again. During this test I was seeing a consistent delta temp spread of 18-20 degrees. :doh:

So, I took it to Ford, since it's under warranty. As we speak it's getting the oil and egr coolers replaced. If I hadn't done some research on this board and a few others, and if I had not bought the ScanGaugeII, I would not have known this was happening. The truck ran and towed like a champ!

So, enable yourself to keep an eye on your temps, keep the coolant and oil clean, and you should be good. Tho changing coolers when needed really needs to be viewed as maintenance on the 6.0 IMO.
Thanks for the info! Will the SGII be ready to read the EOT/ECT out of the box or will it need programming?

What is the average cost of replacing the oil cooler? I plan on having the EGR system deleted (no emmissions around here) and as you said, I understand the oil cooler is a maint. item. I also plan on having the factory coolant flushed and replaced with the correct stuff. With the coolant swapped, EGR deleted and an always functioning oil cooler, I hope to never have any head issues!

Once again, sorry for the newb questions, and thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the info! Will the SGII be ready to read the EOT/ECT out of the box or will it need programming?

What is the average cost of replacing the oil cooler? I plan on having the EGR system deleted (no emmissions around here) and as you said, I understand the oil cooler is a maint. item. I also plan on having the factory coolant flushed and replaced with the correct stuff. With the coolant swapped, EGR deleted and an always functioning oil cooler, I hope to never have any head issues!

GT, I bought my ScanGaugeII from Amazon. As it came from them, it needed to be programed. There's a thread on here someplace that explains the process and gives the codes. But, IIRC, there is someone who sells them pre-programed, I just can't remember who it is. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more help.

As for the cost of the oil cooler, I think you can buy the rebuild kit for around $300. It's obviously higher to have the dealer put it in. This is why I bought the extended warranty when I bought the truck. I'm already money ahead on the investment and have only had it in the shop this one time. :tard:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GT, I bought my ScanGaugeII from Amazon. As it came from them, it needed to be programed. There's a thread on here someplace that explains the process and gives the codes. But, IIRC, there is someone who sells them pre-programed, I just can't remember who it is. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more help.

As for the cost of the oil cooler, I think you can buy the rebuild kit for around $300. It's obviously higher to have the dealer put it in. This is why I bought the extended warranty when I bought the truck. I'm already money ahead on the investment and have only had it in the shop this one time. :tard:
Thanks for the info. The truck I am looking at is not still under warranty, so extended warranty isn't an option. I am hoping to fix these small issues up front to help prevent bigger ones down the road.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts

Thanks for the info. The truck I am looking at is not still under warranty, so extended warranty isn't an option. I am hoping to fix these small issues up front to help prevent bigger ones down the road.

You are on the right track here and planning on the right things. You can get the oil cooler from Tousley Ford for $213. Flush the cooling system well, change the cooler and refill with ELC and you should be good.

A 10* delta is really fairly typical in hot weather and not necessarily indication of a clogging oil cooler.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reviving this thread as I just bought my first truck! First things first, the gauges. Does anyone have a link to the place selling them already set up for the 6.0L? Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats on your new 6.0! :icon_ford:

BPD (.org supporting vendor) has them already programmed here:

BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 and 6.4

You should have no problem programming yourself. The instructions are clear and you can view the manual at their website.

I have a scangauge 2, but in hindsight I wish I had bought the Edge Insight CTS instead. At the time, I was not thinking about monitoring egt's, which you will want to do at some point.

The scangauge does not have a port for the egt probe, the Edge does and it is a nicer tool as well. When you consider this, the scangauge is not quite the bargain it appears to be up front. I have nothing against the scangauge. Just something to consider.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Reviving this thread as I just bought my first truck! First things first, the gauges. Does anyone have a link to the place selling them already set up for the 6.0L? Thanks!
Took 4 years! Well, you did your research for sure! Congratulations!

Say, if you get one from BPD, could you let us know which Xgauges they have installed?

There will probably be more that you will want to enter, I have a link to a video in my Signature for entering Xgauges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts