Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, great job on the common problems and solutions on the 6.4. I Bought a utility service truck 09 f350 drw cab and chassis with a service body on it for CAN $17k. I just dropped it off to get the following done

- stage 2 cold air intake
-egr delete and turbo up pipes
-heads o ringed
-all new gaskets, injector lines and arp head studs
-coolant filtration kit
-new rocker arm assemblies with new rollers
-new hp fuel pump
-intercooler cold side pipe
-cat/dpf delete

When they get the heads off they will let me know if the pistons need to be redone and if so I will go for it. I am not looking to make black smoke, more for better fuel consumption. They will also put a mild tow tune on it with an sct tuner. So what would be the hp gains from just the mechanical work do you think? MPG improvement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
547 Posts
Being north he shouldn’t have much trouble with tune. Just keep the tune conservative, they’ll be able to see any cracks in piston tops but this isn’t a guarantee that they won’t in the future. You have a solid plan there, make sure they check heads flatness as many will be off a touch. Shop that o rings heads will be looking for cracks as well, certain places the cracks aren’t as big a issue as others.

·
Super Moderator
6,122 Posts
I would highly recommend pushing a little farther and do lifters... If the motor has seen significant run time with worn rocker arms, the lifters (which are a very well documented weak point on both the 6.0 and 6.4) have been beat to hell.

Reactions: 6LiterTeter

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
497 Posts
How many miles on this truck? These 6.4’s intrigue me… some say run, others say otherwise. The 6.0 is figured out and parts are readily available; doesn’t seem that way for the 6.4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
497 Posts
I THINK that’s less than 100k miles. Document what you can with photos etc. I have a “friend” with over 300k on his stock 6.4 and h has definitely not babied it. He has taken good care of it though.

·
Super Moderator
6,122 Posts
You won't see much of a hp "gain" with the up pipes, you will however get rid of the egr crossover that likes to crack once the coolers are deleted. So you are on the right track.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
How many miles on this truck? These 6.4’s intrigue me… some say run, others say otherwise. The 6.0 is figured out and parts are readily available; doesn’t seem that way for the 6.4.
“Intrigue” can lead you to some very strange places in both love and trucks…lol…if 2008 had not reared its ugly economic head, I too would have been all over the new 6.4 model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe do the front and rear main seals. I just did the rear main on my truck…. It was the original one installed with the motor so there was no wear ring (wasted money buying the removal tool I didn’t need 🤦🏼‍♂️).
Maybe a Water pump as well so they can check for cavitation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, great job on the common problems and solutions on the 6.4. I Bought a utility service truck 09 f350 drw cab and chassis with a service body on it for CAN $17k. I just dropped it off to get the following done

- stage 2 cold air intake
-egr delete and turbo up pipes
-heads o ringed
-all new gaskets, injector lines and arp head studs
-coolant filtration kit
-new rocker arm assemblies with new rollers
-new hp fuel pump
-intercooler cold side pipe
-cat/dpf delete

When they get the heads off they will let me know if the pistons need to be redone and if so I will go for it. I am not looking to make black smoke, more for better fuel consumption. They will also put a mild tow tune on it with an sct tuner. So what would be the hp gains from just the mechanical work do you think? MPG improvement?

Thanks.
Don’t forget the rest of truck. Brake calipers, axle bearings pumpkin bearings. Any 4x4 items if you have it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts