Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't put the safety pin thru the boat hitch. Boat came off hitch going around 5mph shortly after taking it out of the water. Destroyed the fab-four bumper, I was really suprised. Dented the tailgate too. Besides my negligence, I attribute most of the damage to the poor/weak mounting brackets. In the third pic you can see how bent the passenger mounting bracket was. New bumper is 1.75x0.120in DOM. Just getting started but here are few pics.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I always like custom work but am I missing something? Couldnt you just fix the mounting brackets and be good?

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you look at the first pic, the center of the bumper is definity sprung.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look at the first pic, the center of the bumper is definity sprung.
The bumper was both bent down and in. You can see the split weld to the right of the hitch. I was also lucky the hitch was in place as the bumper was bent down to where the hitch was supporting it, keeping it from bending further. If it was only bent in one direction, I would fix the mounting brackets and straighten the bumper. As is, it will be too much work to justify fixing it, plus I would rather have something I built on my truck, then I have no excuses :) I am glad I didn't get hit from the rear by a car or something that would cause significantly more damage to my truck.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
5 minutes in a hydraulic press would straighten it out, then put it on ebay since you have the new one built. myself the tube bumper thing doesn't do much for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished up the fab work. I don't have any finished pictures of it mounted since it was raining all day today. Need to finish the front and then get the bumpers to the powder coater.

Test fit:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love tube bumpers, I bend up cages and what not and have been looking for a design for the rear of my SD, do you mind if I copy you?

Is that 1.75 or 2 inch? HREW or DOM?

Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love tube bumpers, I bend up cages and what not and have been looking for a design for the rear of my SD, do you mind if I copy you?

Is that 1.75 or 2 inch? HREW or DOM?

Dan
1.75in x 0.120in wall DOM

If you have bent-tech I can send you the assembly file.

I'll try to get more pictures up soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts