Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so my head gaskets have began to leak go figure after turbo upgrade and custom tune.

well i want to get a list together of things to do and parts i should start stocking up on to get the job done. i have some things already on my mind of what i want to do. so i'll start with that and i'm looking for your guys input on them and please add.

-oem head gaskets
-arp studs
-get heads checked
-heat wrap up pipes, intercooler pipes, and down pipe
-get intake chemical dipped to get all gunk out and free up air flow
-inspect possible replace oil cooler

other parts i am considering and would like input from you guys.
-58v ficm w/tune from php
-larger injectors don't know what size or who to go with please help!

my signature is up to date on what i have done currently. i do plan on lowering truck down to 2" on 295/70r18 tire cause i am planning on getting a 30'+ gooseneck and plan on towing 10-15k so not sure what kind of impact that has on injector choice or ficm tune, please help.

anything else you guys know of that i need to think about please let me know. i only want to do this once and do it right

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I would recommend getting injectors from Sheldon @ Renegade Diesel

175/75s if you are looking for a medium build...
190/75 or 100s if you gots lots of money LOL

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't have tons of money. will those injectors be to much for a MTW stg 1 turbo, or even with towing heavy?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
With a stage one and towing, get 155/30% or 50%
And that will be a fun truck!!!
And still tow great

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea thats what i was thinking i'm not looking for balls to the wall crazy just looking for a extremely fun and powerful truck to do what i want when i want.

·
Registered
292 Posts
X2 for sheldons injectors they are significatly cheaper than warrens but are both great to deal with.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well im definitely interested in getting in contact with renegade but do any of you guys have contact info for me please?.

Does anyone else have any input on anything I have planed or should plan for?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any other input. i really would like to get this list going so when the time comes all i have to do is order parts and tear into it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
to-do list: call up your buddy to come help out on yours so then it can be done with ease on mine down the road haha

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you are more than welcome to come check it out when i start and help out but i plan on doing it through out the week after work and on the weekends. probably gonna be a week to 2 weeks from start to finish

·
Registered
126 Posts
you are more than welcome to come check it out when i start and help out but i plan on doing it through out the week after work and on the weekends. probably gonna be a week to 2 weeks from start to finish
So in order to do this in 2 weeks you need to be comprehensive on your list and have everything at your door when you start tear down (I know that is what you said but I mean EVERYTHING, and make sure its all complete and good). The other thing is settle on your procedures for each thing you are doing. i.e. cleaning the block. Make sure you have all your special tools (just buy them you can always resell). Also be sure you line up your head shop before hand too so as soon as they come off they go over. This is all been experience when doing mine (which I still am)

I had various (plan b's) to contend with, parts not showing up or damaged, change of procedures, tools that didn't show up on time etc. Also the original Ford diag that I had done seemed to change as well. I changed EGR deletes after Tuscany's leak issue with the Sinister convinced me to but different. I broke a glow plug harness (I had the special tool). I didn't have the special extended T40 torx for the injectors which are kind of hard to find (don't wedge a t40 in sideways you can strip the hold downs). I didn't have a crows foot 24mm for torquing the new STC fitting properly. I had a head shop recommendation but I did not check his pricing which was crazy, so I had to find another. All junk that came up that I was not prepared for which cost more time and more money. Also decide what you are going to do right now if your heads are cracked. Don't get caught out of money with cracked heads and no path for new ones.

Also on the intake if you have a good pressure washer and a place that you don't mind mucking up (the back lawn perhaps) you can clean it out yourself. I used a 3000psi and it got it spotless. Just soak it good in mineral spirits.

Just some things to think about and I hope it helps you.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
If your gonna do the ARP studs make sure you get extra lube, the little pack you get with the studs is no were close to enough. Kinda pizzed me off after spending $400+ they gottta short change you on the lube so you'll have to buy more.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep thanks for the input. Most of that had already crossed my mind and yes I hope to have EVERYTHING sitting on my toolbox waiting. That is why I have started this thread to help fill in the blanks and make sure everything is thought of before I start the job.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok guys im gonna need to start speeding up things pretty sure my gaskets are getting worse. Starting to get rough start up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What part of va you in again psd va. Maby if your close to p-town i can help you turn a wrench one day.

Sent from my iPhone where spell check hates me.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm the farthest north in gloucester you can go. I'm 30mins from the coleman bridge

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your about a hour and 10 min away. When your about to put the head on and do the apr. If you want a hand let me know. I would like a chance to get a look at the install process. And im handy with a wrench.

Sent from my iPhone where spell check hates me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts