Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new 2020 F350 Lariat dually 4x4 CC long bed w/3.55 axle and I will be installing a fuel tank tool box in the bed. I need to order a sending unit for the tank but can not find out what omh range is needed to match factory tank. I also need to order an external aux fuel pump but do not know what pressure range the pump needs to be. I should be getting my truck around the middle to the end of Sept, so I wanted to order those items before the truck gets here.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thank in advance for the provided information.

·
Premium Member
10,833 Posts
I suggest trying to find a truck upfitter that tends to swap around beds and service bodies. Not sure what is accomplished with your pump and sending unit.

Why are you trying to match the omh range?? I'd think any low pressure (20psi??) aux fuel pump would work just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggest trying to find a truck upfitter that tends to swap around beds and service bodies. Not sure what is accomplished with your pump and sending unit.

Why are you trying to match the omh range?? I'd think any low pressure (20psi??) aux fuel pump would work just fine.
I am installing a Pollak 6 port valve that will switch my fuel supply & sending unit from main tank to aux tank when the up-fitter switch is turned on.

·
Premium Member
10,833 Posts
After looking at what I think you are using, coming to a thought of what you are trying to do.....seems like this will be spliced into the feed for the motor.

I'd find a shop that specializes in truck service bodies and those kinds of aftermarket "add-ons". They would have more "hands-on" experiences with this type stuff.

Most people just splice into the fuel filler neck to allow the in-bed aux tank to feed the main tank when the switch is flipped.

In the mean time here's a good site to dig around on, you might find some info here about fuel and electrical systems: Ford Body Builders

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking at what I think you are using, coming to a thought of what you are trying to do.....seems like this will be spliced into the feed for the motor.

I'd find a shop that specializes in truck service bodies and those kinds of aftermarket "add-ons". They would have more "hands-on" experiences with this type stuff.

Most people just splice into the fuel filler neck to allow the in-bed aux tank to feed the main tank when the switch is flipped.

In the mean time here's a good site to dig around on, you might find some info here about fuel and electrical systems: Ford Body Builders
Thanks Heavy Assault. I have installed this system on two other trucks without a problem but this is the first time I had to install an aux fuel pump. I also need the ohms that Ford is using on the 2020 sending unit. I would assume that the pressure on the pump is only a supply so a 5-9 psi pump should be more than adequate. If you have any other thoughts I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why do you need it to send from two separate tanks? Why not just install a gravity or pump feed from the six tank to the main tank through the filler neck?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you need it to send from two separate tanks? Why not just install a gravity or pump feed from the six tank to the main tank through the filler neck?
I installed a Pollak 6 port valve that switches fuel supply & sending unit as you change fuel tanks. The dash gauge will read the sending unit in each tank once it is selected.

·
Premium Member
10,833 Posts
I'm thinking the newer trucks are running an in-tank OEM pump. So that pump is what feeds the HPFP under the hood. I'm pretty certain it's going to be more than 5-9PSI for flow. I'm highly suggest you keep researching this before you buy too much stuff. Cause you will need to make sure that PSI is fed thru the system or at least once it's heading to the engine compartment.

I'm pretty sure I get the concept of the 6-port, but it looks like you shift from the OEM tank and pump to run the supply from the Aux tank and pump. Is that correct??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking the newer trucks are running an in-tank OEM pump. So that pump is what feeds the HPFP under the hood. I'm pretty certain it's going to be more than 5-9PSI for flow. I'm highly suggest you keep researching this before you buy too much stuff. Cause you will need to make sure that PSI is fed thru the system or at least once it's heading to the engine compartment.

I'm pretty sure I get the concept of the 6-port, but it looks like you shift from the OEM tank and pump to run the supply from the Aux tank and pump. Is that correct??
Thanks I will get the dealer to give me the correct pressure.

Yes the Pollak 6 port switches the valve & the sending unit to the tank you select

·
Premium Member
10,833 Posts
So if it does that then it's shutting power off to the OEM in tank pump. Is that correct???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if it does that then it's shutting power off to the OEM in tank pump. Is that correct???
Yes you run the power for the OEM pump & sending unit to the Pollak valve. You also run the Aux pump & sending unit to the valve. I will run the dash gauge to the valve & as you select either tank it connects to the dash gauge . I attached a diagram for the valve.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,833 Posts
I saw that in your other post. I hope you can get this to work. All the crazy stuff these things monitor for these days you never know what's going to cause an issue.

Please keep up the work, posting here what you find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will let everyone know that it works. I have installed this in 2 other vehicle over 12 yrs without any issues, but everything is getting more complicated. I have an electrical Engr that I worked with for years that will be helping me with the installation. The one thing that makes this more complicated is the fact that I need to power an aux fuel pump. I attached a new diagram that my friends help me with to accommodate the fuel pumps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,833 Posts
Can you explain the connections to the UpFitter Switch Fuse??? Is that supposed to be splices in ....or something else??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am making assumptions but 4 up fitter switches have 25 amps fuses tied to the ignition switch and 2 switches have 40 amps fuses straight form the battery. The wires are located under the hood and labeled to each switch. I will soldier the wire & run it to my connection for the Pollak 6 port valve & aux pump. I will have to identify the sending unit wire at the tank & the main supply fuel pump. The Dealer is going to give me the wire colors for each. I will cut those and wire them into the Pollak wiring connection on the diagram I attach.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I wonder how Ford accomplishes this on their F550 cab and chassis trucks that have the option of a midship fuel tank and an aft axle tank option available.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I found out the pump runs 52-72 psi for Ford Tech support
Does pump psi correlate to gallons per hour? My FASS that ran at 65 psi flowed 140 gallons per hour. FASS says that this is roughly 3-4 times the flow of a stock fuel sender. If a stock unit is operating at 52-72 psi, this means you’re flowing more fuel than an aftermarket lift pump. That psi doesn’t sound accurate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I check the pressure of the in tank pump& it was 60 psi at idle. I bought a stock in tank pump sending unit to make sure everything worked correct. I think it is way over kill so the return line is routing the excess back to the tank. I will be installing this in my auxiliary fuel tank & connecting everything though a Pollak 3 way valve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts