Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies up front this is pretty general query.

[ back story ]
Back in August family and I were on a road trip and my 6.0 E-350 Quigley left us stranded in Iowa. No one could look at it for 4+ weeks. We had to continue on with our trip so as of today the van sits in IA. They were finally able to get a look at the van - needless to say I can't pay what they want to get it back running at this time. I need to haul it back up here to MT.

[ current question ]
Does any one have a lead on a reputable hauler that they have possibly used before?
Other option is I can haul it back if I can find a trailer to rent .. 20' deck-over or similar.

Once the Quigley is back here ... that will lead to a bunch more 6.0 questions im sure :)

-kevin

Premium Member
Tow it back with a U-haul dolly ?
would need to disconnect the driveshaft

Premium Member
While you鈥檙e doing your homework on how you can get it back, you might try dialing-up a bunch of haulers for general info and pricing. Never know when one might be deadheading back home to Seattle or wherever and willing to drop your van off on the cheap.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While you鈥檙e doing your homework on how you can get it back, you might try dialing-up a bunch of haulers ...
@Spirit when ever I try this I just get the brokers ... I've only got lead on one outfit that runs their own truck/trailer combos. I was kind of fishing here for other leads. The broker junk is all out of NY and such ... not super confident in them.

Premium Member
Got it. Lots of small outfits who are owner / operators out there but yeah, tough to find a name and connect.

Administrator
most people use a broker now a days, you might find a hotshot with a spot on occasion but not a spot for a whole van.
More like a motorcycle or small freight.

Premium Member
From what I remember, the dollys from U-Haul are only allowed for lighter-weight vehicles.

When I was in charge of vehicle testing, we used to ship vehicles all over with Reliable Carriers. These guys ship cars all over, restoration, auto show cars, prototypes... They do both open and closed trailers, but I've never had a situation where a vehicle could not be moved under its own power. So I would check if it can't. Probably not as cheap as you could find, but they are a commercial carrier and insure the vehicles.

I probably shipped over 100 vehicles with them over 25 years.

On edit, I should add I shipped Superduty trucks all over using the company, pickups and Excursion.

Reactions: MtnTallPaul

Premium Member
Good thing they only carry half of the vehicle weight

Reactions: bismic and Heavy_GD

Premium Member
At work, I tried to rent one to move a Jeep Cherokee, and they would not let me. I had to rent the car trailer. Which was OK, it wasn't personal money, and we didn't have to disconnect the driveshaft. Not sure if they still do, but when you rent, you have to tell them what you are going to move, and the computer base says yes or no.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts