Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

281 - 299 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I have a 2008 6.4 FX4. With my new job I am not hauling and towing much and have short daily trips. Regen comes on almost daily and hard to get a full cycle in.
What is your recommendation or suggestion for mods. I would like to have this truck forever!
I do have the Edge Evolution tuner set on economy but I get better mileage with it set to towing.
IMHO if you don't need a diesel and you plan to leave it stock, I would sell it....too many expensive potential problems with this platform especially when it is stock and you are making short trips.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Its your drive, the tuning didn't help but short driving like that plays hell on a diesel. You really should extend your drives even after deleting... I don't take my truck out unless I know its going to get warmed up or if I have no other choice.

I drive the long way to work every day just to make sure that even during the winter the ol girl gets up to temp.
In the morning it gets to operating temperature with all the traffic, lol. I've added a k&n replacement filter until I get a cai. Just debating on which one I want and how much I can spend. I noticed a big difference when I put in the old OEM filter to clean the K&N. I tow on occasion but mostly a daily driver. I will be moving to GA in April so I will be towing a lot.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 2008 6.4 FX4. With my new job I am not hauling and towing much and have short daily trips. Regen comes on almost daily and hard to get a full cycle in.
What is your recommendation or suggestion for mods. I would like to have this truck forever!
I do have the Edge Evolution tuner set on economy but I get better mileage with it set to towing.
remove dp* as soon as possible. having a dpf on tuner actullay causes more issues like pushing more smoke into the can, and casuing more stress to your motor then it was with stock tuning. remember, the reason we get rid of the dp* is to let this motor breathe better, reduce egt's, increase motor longevity.

*** Highly recommend to run lower tunes for long term reliability. The objective to keeping a stock 6.4 live a happy life is the reduce as much heat as possible. high HP tunes create more heat, just as if the dpf was still in place!!***

The way you are setup right now is killing your motor. short daily trips with the 6.4, or any diesel for that matter, causes a lot of unnecessary stress if it does not come up to normal operating temps.

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
The 2 things I will throw in with not letting a diesel get warm are...

1. Moisture builds up in the oil and you should be changing it almost twice as often. If the truck isn't getting up to temp fully the oil can't shed water... Simple as that, and we all know how well water lubricates.

2. Diesels are insanely inefficient when cold. When temps are below freezing that white smoke flowing out of the tail pipe is in fact unburnt atomized diesel... Yah, waste of money. The even more painful part is part of that fuel gets past the rings and into the oil. Now, on a 5k oci that's not a huge issue and is completely normal on any diesel. What is concerning is when this is a daily issue... That fuel that is in the cylinder and not burning sticks to the cylinder walls and robs the cylinder walls and piston rings of much needed lubrication. Many 6.4s that have a lot of idle time (well... most, especially if they have the dpf in place) will have a distinct lack of cross hatching in the cylinders due to this issue. We call this wet stacking... It occurs most during regen and cold weather idling, but if the truck is never allowed to get hot enough it will add to it quite a bit.

The other thing to consider with a 6.0 or 6.4 is cylinder pressure. That unburnt fuel will cause elevated cylinder pressure and thus overstress those already problematic tty head bolts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I was hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on something for me and provide some advice. I'm in the market for a new truck. Just had a new baby girl and need to find a four door truck with more room. I found a 2008 F-250 with 6.4L a guy has for sale and the price is right if he is telling the truth unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with fords so there for I don't know much about their motors. The only experience I have is a few 6.4L at my work that we had and we had nothing but problems with them. This truck has had a lot of mods done to it but he says that the injectors in it is bad and his wife wants him to sell it because she wants a new car. He said it would start and run for a few and then it starts missing bad and dies. What do you all think? My worry is that bad injectors could have cause major engine problems or there is major internal motor problems instead of bad injectors. This truck is a long way away from where I live so I cant just pack up and go look at it. Have these motors had major issues with them? What is your alls opinion on these trucks and this motor? The truck is a 2008 Ford F-250 lariat Crew cab 4x4 with 175,000 miles on it outside looks great. Mods are EGR and DPF delete, single turbo conversion to a 76.6 mm turbo with custom tunes, new Suncoast Omega 5r110 trans, Head studs, 5" down pipe, and air dog II lift pump. Thank you so much any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello,
I was hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on something for me and provide some advice. I'm in the market for a new truck. Just had a new baby girl and need to find a four door truck with more room. I found a 2008 F-250 with 6.4L a guy has for sale and the price is right if he is telling the truth unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with fords so there for I don't know much about their motors. The only experience I have is a few 6.4L at my work that we had and we had nothing but problems with them. This truck has had a lot of mods done to it but he says that the injectors in it is bad and his wife wants him to sell it because she wants a new car. He said it would start and run for a few and then it starts missing bad and dies. What do you all think? My worry is that bad injectors could have cause major engine problems or there is major internal motor problems instead of bad injectors. This truck is a long way away from where I live so I cant just pack up and go look at it. Have these motors had major issues with them? What is your alls opinion on these trucks and this motor? The truck is a 2008 Ford F-250 lariat Crew cab 4x4 with 175,000 miles on it outside looks great. Mods are EGR and DPF delete, single turbo conversion to a 76.6 mm turbo with custom tunes, new Suncoast Omega 5r110 trans, Head studs, 5" down pipe, and air dog II lift pump. Thank you so much any advice would be much appreciated.
Anyone on here will tell you just by reading whats done to it, its had the balls beaten off it! I would bet any amount that 125k of the 175 on it has been rode hard! Anyone that goes through all the effort of replacing Turbos w/ an aftermarket single and HD trans and lets not forget the Airdog system (For increase of HP from the custom tunes) and lastly, studs just to keep the heads from blowing off!! I would steer clear from this one however, keep looking!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello,
I would stay far away from that truck....

it amazes me how people always want more power out of these things, but don't realize the shortcomings the 6.4L has from the factory. I would not doubt with those miles and abuse that truck has a cracked piston, or on it's way to self destructing within the next few miles.

The shear fact he upgraded the 5r trans and hasn't touched pistons, cylinder heads etc means he doesn't care or realize the damage he is doing to that truck.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hello,
I was hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on something for me and provide some advice. I'm in the market for a new truck. ... Thank you so much any advice would be much appreciated.
Like the others are saying, steer clear.

I always look for stock vehicles with maintenance records or, if for some reason I buy a modded vehicle, I have to know the person who owned it. Both of these give me a reasonable, but not complete, expectation on how the vehicle was treated prior to me.

Also, most of us would tell you that you never want to buy someone else's project. They'll value their money in mods too much and you have no idea how well the work was done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally having some 6.4 issues hope I haven't waited too long. Bought this truck new in April of 08. 4X4 250 crew cab manual trans 6 speed. It is used to pull my race car 140mile round trip bout 2 times a month during dirt track season. Truck has 97k miles and messed up hpfp. My fault missed filterchange and bad load of fuel. No am having pump replaced in a few weeks shop only pulls the cab. So I want to go ahead and do the egr and dpf delete I am happy with the truck as is but since it will be easy to do while cab is off I want to do this. My car and trailer together weigh about 5k so it is not like the truck is worked that hard.not looking to add loads of power or mph for that matter just want to add some longeviety. Truck is serviced. Every 5k miles. What company's. Are reccomended as I understand I will need a tuner of some sort I would like to stay with 1 vendor if possible. My truck books at 13000. I don't want to dump 7000.00 in it but am comfortable spending 4000.00 or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
EGR cooler delete / tune requirements? IN a bind

Hey there powerstroke guys. I own a 2008 6.4 with 141k miles. Currently in a bit of bind and reaching out for help!! Within the next few days or week or so ive got to make a trip out to texas (in AZ Roughly a 1400 mile round trip endeavor) and ive got a small external leak on my lower EGR cooler. Blackstone labs report shows no sign of coolant present in engine oil. So my question is im thinking about either #1 making the trip out and praying to god it doesnt decide to fail and leave me stranded in another state or #2 do a cheap EGR delete on both coolers until i can afford the bulletproof pair of coolers a little bit later on down the road. Also, if i do this delete, is it absolutley required to tune the removal, i.e. would it hinder any operation of my truck if i did not tune it. I should mention the truck has a DPF tune and delete. I have to pass emissions but not til next year which would buy me time to put the good coolers back into the truck. input is VERY APPRECIATED as to i have to make a decision somewhat soon here. THANKS SO MUCH GUYS, the group and page is awesome!!!! - Dustin

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 6.4 seems to run great. But after the engine and tranny is up to operating temps. It smoke like a freight train. I've installed all new injectors and another custom tune box. But still does it. Never smokes when engine is cold. Only after being driven for about a 1/2 hour. Can anyone help?

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
What tuning are you running? Black, blue, white smoke? How much boost are you seeing at wot? How many miles? What codes do you see?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2010 blew white smoke like crazy after it was warm. It was embarrassing at traffic lights and drive-thru lanes. I wasn't about sink a lot a money into trying to chase the problem only to have it continue. I bit the bullet and put a new motor in. I know it's expensive, but I was screwed no matter which way I went. It wouldn't get much of it if I sold it like that and I would have bought another truck. I love this truck and it was cheaper in the long run to put a new motor in with all the emissions crap deleted from the start. I plan to keep it for 10 years and get my monies worth!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 blowing white smoke periodically with the H&S high sulfur tune. Pretty sure one or both of the EGR coolers is leaking coolant into the exhaust stream and that the EGR valve sometimes leaks. That being said, I have a question concerning EGR delete from the original post.

Option 1 is a tune and Option 2 is block plates, but Option 3 is to remove the EGR coolers and supposedly more thorough.

First question, what is the real difference between implementing Option 1&2 vs Option 3? A tune is needed for both, however, the first option is not only much easier and cheaper, but also keeps the rigidity intact as well as things in place for an inspection. If I block of both sides of the EGR coolers with slip in block plates, even if the coolant spills into the exhaust side of the EGR coolers, it will eventually liquid fill and flow through normally while the exhaust flow is blocked off keeping the 2 streams from cross contaminating.

I too have been thinking I should just install new bulletproof EGR coolers and keep the EGR delete tune, however, I am fairly convinced that keeping the EGR delete tune and block plates is the same thing, only cheaper. The only danger is that one cannot remove the EGR delete tune without removing the block plates.

Any opinions or direction is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the gearbox z DPFr not currently installed. When it was installed the automatic ignition was disabled, have you heard this before? Do you have a recommendation for a stackable tuner? thanks....

·
Registered
5 Posts
When talking about traction bars... how much horsepower can you add before really needing to consider them? Like what is "higher hp tunes", something like 75-150hp extra or more like 200-300hp extra?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent write-up and I have book marked this page for future reference.
Many of these things I have already done or the owner before me did but his work was lacking and I'll explain.

Ok first I'll post the specifics:

About me: I have been doing all my own work on vehicles all of my life but I am relatively new to Diesel technology. I pretty much understand it but still need to get my hands dirty before I really get it, (if that makes sense?).

About my truck: Maroon 2008 F350 DRW 4x4 Lariat edition. Was used "heavily" to haul a large Horse trailer and other things associated with a horse ranch business here in NC.
I bought it from the original owner back in 2011 with 380k miles on the truck. The engine had already been rebuilt and had 30k miles on it when I got the truck. The 6 speed manual trans had also been rebuilt with 3k miles on it when I got the truck. At present, the truck has about 390 k miles on it because I was overseas contracting during and after the time that I bought the truck. The truck is in very good shape as the miles were all highway. After checking it out under the hood, I see where the shop that did his work had done an EGR delete by using block off plates and kept the factory intake tube, (just removed or blocked off the associated ports etc...). Because of this removal work, the engine area has a lot of open space and is very easy to work on compared to other stock 2008 F350's that I have seen. I do plan on replacing the original "blocked off" intake tube with a clean after market tube in order to clean up the engine area even more.
I see where the exhaust has been modified and the DPF/DOC is gone, (just a straight pipe with a muffler in front of the rear end and pipe all the way to the passenger side bumper. I will have to check to make sure that a 2 piece down-tube is there, (to insure that I do not need to do a Cab Off to install my new exhaust), because I did not pay very good attention to that yet. I will also need to measure the size of that "test" pipe as well to make sure that it works well with my new Banks exhaust.
I immediately bought new Falken tires all around. I also bought the complete Banks Big Hoss system w/dual exhaust but so far I have only installed the Intercooler and the Cold Air Box because of the exhaust issues and the tuning issues needed for the Banks IQ 2.0 install. I recently had a hole develop in the bottom of the factory "lift" fuel pump, (no idea how or why), in the area of the housing that catches/collects any water in the fuel. My brother is currently using the truck for his business so I plugged the lift pump hole temporarily and I will be getting a new improved pump for it in the next week or so. I was looking at the Air Dog but after reading this post, I think I will go M.A.D. because I will be using the truck as a daily driver but also want it to be as much of a beast as possible. I will also be hauling a large toy hauler in the near future as well as a 30 foot boat with it.

I guess what I am saying here is that I want a bullet proof beast of a truck that I can drive daily and not worry about. The Banks IQ 2.0 will allow me to tune it for economy, towing and performance at the push of a button so I'll need to consider all of these when selecting each new upgrade item.

Your list is very complete and you explain it well but I have one question? While you explained each item and specified what it was for, I will be looking for most if not all of those advantages in a single package. With my existing set up and desired uses for this truck, what would you say is the, (for want of a better word), ultimate package? I am not an extremely rich man but I am single, (no wife to tell me that I am spending too much money, LOL), and will go the distance to get this truck the way I want it.

Thanks,

Dave Boling

Attachments

281 - 299 of 299 Posts