Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am working on my 1999 f250 7.3 2 wd. Through some testing and searching these threads, I have figured I need to change the GEM. I have a done/parts truck 1999 f250 7.3 4×4. To use the GEM from this truck do I need to change the pcm ?
Thanks in advance for any help and/or info.
Chris

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
The GEM is your "Body" computer and the PCM is your "Powertrain" computer, they don't interact all that much.

So, no,,, same PCM but, you need a replacement GEM that's identical to the old one (things like all the various options and 2WD vs 4WD and Manual vs Auto are Very important). I don't know For Sure, but I don't think you can use that GEM.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Do you have the engineering number from both of them?
It'll look something like F81B-14B205-EP

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well kind of weird, but I pulled the GEM from the driving truck. No water intrusion at all, but I ran a small wire brush across the terminals and cleaned every thing (didn't look dirty anyway). Then put it back together. And no more under dash clicking, and everything (like the dash warning lights) goes off when the key is off! But now my question is. The doner truck was purchased to turn the 2wd truck to 4we. It is a manual t-case. Will the GEM matter?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look today for the engineering number. I haven't pulled the one from the doner truck yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts